Explain this !

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superstock

Reaction score
This is 14 hours after pitching 5gms kit yeast into a split batch of Tooheys draught.

P.S these are bubbles, like a krausen, not floating yeast.

10 @ 7am 12-3-2014.jpg

10 @ 7am 12-3-2014.jpg

Haha looks pretty cool! Almost crop circle like. Does the bottom of your fermenter have dimples similar to a coke bottle? Could be yeast forming large colonies in them, releasing co2 which form bubbles in the shapes you see on the surface

I've seen the same thing when I have fermented in soft drink bottles. It's the same shape as the dimples in the bottom of the bottle. My explanation is that when the yeast is added, it sinks into the bottom of these dimples. When they start fermenting the wort, the CO2 bubbles rise from their current location.

Blitzer said:
Is Tooheys draught using lager yeast?
Don't know, If it is, they recommend fermenting at ale temps.(18-28'). This is @17'.

superstock said:
This is 14 hours after pitching 5gms kit yeast into a split batch of Tooheys draught.

P.S these are bubbles, like a krausen, not floating yeast.
[SIZE=11pt]Air convection currents and the pattern around the top of the bottle shaping the krausun?[/SIZE]

Having the overwhelming urge to have a shit every time he went near the beer would be disturbing. If I had not seen the pic I may have guessed infrasound causing hallucinations. :lol:

It's the Carbon Tax.

Or the boats.

Or Tony Abbott.

Yeah, definitely Tony Abbott's fault.

Either way, it looks pretty cool.

I think HoppingMad & MCHammo have it right. It does have dimples in the bottom like a coke bottle. Pic of how it is spreading with time.
wereprawn.....The ring around the krausen in the other pic is probably from compressor vibration in my 50 year old fridge.10 @ 2.30pm.jpg13 @ 2.30pm.jpg

Bubbles of co2 form at nucleation points, these can be impurities floating in the water or imperfections on the inside surface of the container. The shape of the bottom is making a pattern of nucleation points and this is where the bubbles are being released, creating the pattern on the surface.
Yeast will be distributed throughout the fermenting wort, not just at the bottom. It sinks to the bottom when it goes dormant or dies.

Back