Expensive Microbrew Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey Guy's

Just wondering how many here are annoyed at the price of craft beers, a few im sure. However, my usual bottle shop is somewhat cheeper that the big wigs. I went to buy a friend of mine some craft brews as himself and his other half came over for dinner last night. So i decided to buy a few singles for him to try, I stoped off to a liquorland on the way home from work and was shocked at the price they where charging for beer. Little Creatures for a single bottle was about $4.50 and Beez Kneez was about $4.

So yeah I reckon if you know of a place that sells craft beers at a reasonable price post it up and show support.

D'amore cellars in lalor north melbourne sells craft beers in and around the $18 mark and from memory singles are about $3, so if you live in the area give them a go.

Cheers

Aaron

PS. No affiliation or anything like that jsut reckon good quality local beers shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

buying singles of any beer is quite expensive...I think even mega swill beer is about $3 to $4 a bottle bought individually.

For me, $16 - $20 for a six pack of Micro beer is fine, as is $80 for a carton.

Anything under that and I think the quality will go down as well...anything over that, well, you could probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

As for cheap craft brewed beer...Dan Murphy's is where I would first go. After that I would try and buy directly from the brewery (only if they are close-ish) - like lobethal bierhaus and steam exchange are for me...both $80 a carton beers.

http://www.fairgocraftbeer.com.au/

Basically, small breweries (often offering higher quality products and greater variety) cannot afford to operate at the same small profit margins as the big breweries. "Boutique" wineries in Australia get partial excise exemption to promote the wine industry and it is proposed that craft breweries in Australia should get similar excise exemption in order to allow craft breweries to actually compete with the big guys.

For choice you cant beat Murphy`s for mine, although the fridge at Grain and Grape and The Brewers Den holds some beauties, Du Pont for one.

A stubbie of Fosters these days is $3.00, now thats a rip-off!

buying singles of any beer is quite expensive...I think even mega swill beer is about $3 to $4 a bottle bought individually.

Anything under that and I think the quality will go down as well...anything over that, well, you could probably find it cheaper somewhere else.

As for cheap craft brewed beer...Dan Murphy's is where I would first go. After that I would try and buy directly from the brewery (only if they are close-ish) - like lobethal bierhaus and steam exchange are for me...both $80 a carton beers.

what about the all too common 4 pack of 330ml for $20+ ?? no wonder nobody will buy them.

Hey Guy's

Just wondering how many here are annoyed at the price of craft beers, a few im sure. However, my usual bottle shop is somewhat cheeper that the big wigs. I went to buy a friend of mine some craft brews as himself and his other half came over for dinner last night. So i decided to buy a few singles for him to try, I stoped off to a liquorland on the way home from work and was shocked at the price they where charging for beer. Little Creatures for a single bottle was about $4.50 and Beez Kneez was about $4.

So yeah I reckon if you know of a place that sells craft beers at a reasonable price post it up and show support.

D'amore cellars in lalor north melbourne sells craft beers in and around the $18 mark and from memory singles are about $3, so if you live in the area give them a go.

Cheers

Aaron

PS. No affiliation or anything like that jsut reckon good quality local beers shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.
good point mate, but until the excise tax is dropped the small brews will allways be up there in price. we run a small micro in rosanna and if you see the time and effort we put into making 400lts , labeling and packaging then i think you would understand. :icon_chickcheers:

what about the all too common 4 pack of 330ml for $20+ ?? no wonder nobody will buy them.

well thats part of my point who wants to buy expensive beers. Lets face it not many people are gonna go out on a hunch and buy a 6 pack of beer that they've never tried before (unless you're a 16 year old who just wants to get pissed lol) so that's one reason i buy singles to try before i buy in a sence.

Aaron

good point mate, but until the excise tax is dropped the small brews will allways be up there in price. we run a small micro in rosanna and if you see the time and effort we put into making 400lts , labeling and packaging then i think you would understand. :icon_chickcheers:

Of course, I'm by no means putting the blame on the brewer at all, its that I just can't see the reason why big companies will charge more for a bottle of beer than the independant/semi independant bottle shops.

Aaron

Melville road cellars has a great range of beer at good prices. Tiny little grocery/liquor shop but for some reason loads of beer at prices comparable to DM's.

Cnr Melville Rd and Hope Street West Brunswick (VIC)

Everything from Erdinger (dunkel, dunkel weizen, weizen) Kozel, Schofferhoffer (hefe and kristal), Chimay (blue only), Orval, st Arnoud, James Squire, Coopers (Pale, Sparkling and Stout incl longnecks), Duvel, Kilkenny, guiness, Boddington's, Grand Ridge (I think) Monteith's, Little Creatures, Matilda Bay and on the other end of the scale they also have funny beers with pictures of breasts on the label, tui, Melbourne, Fosters, Boags, VB and others I've forgotten.

They also stock a reasonable array of ciders (strongbow, Mercury, Three Oaks, possibly pipsqueak) for such a little shop

I disagree - I pay it occasionally but I spit chips every time.

For that sort of money I could buy some of the world's finest beers, brewed in their country of origin with the finest malt, barley and water for the style. Why on earth should I spend exactly the same dollars on some tossy 'microbrew', brewed around the corner using the same bloody tap water I use and CHEAPER malt and hops (pellets usually) than what I use in my own beers?

Perhaps it's not a cool attitude for a 'home microbrewer' to hold but I really feel that somebody's taking the piss sometimes.

I reckon you're mad to complain about it - these micros are struggling to hold themselves in this market, and paying an extra couple bucks for a 6er of LCPA over VB? well, I certainly dont mind at all. the big wigs would still be making a shiteload more profit even though there product is cheaper.

I reckon your mad to complain about it - these micros are struggling to hold themselves in this market, and paying an extra couple bucks for a 6er of LCPA over VB? well, I certainly dont mind at all. the big wigs would still be making a shiteload more profit even though there product is cheaper.

I'm not talking about the larger breweries I'm talking abou the large chains of bottle shops that sell craft beer at outragous prices with respect to your smaller bottle shops, I don't think many people would complain that the smaller brweries have to charge more for their beer when selling it to a bottle shop or whatever but that the place the average consumer buys it from charge throught hte teeth.

Aaron

I've only had access to Dan's for a couple of months and I'm amazed at the range of individual 500ml bottles of Euro beers from the Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, Ukraine... and all at below $4 at the moment. That's nearly a pint - it's a scandal about the excise on our local craft breweries, not that the wowser lesbian whale huggers care. However surely the employment and 'home grown' aspect should count for something. A carton of craft 330s is 8 litres so even buying singles of Euros that works out at around $60 for the equivalent amount of beer, and shipped around the planet at that.

And although it's not 'craft' I bought an Oettinger for $30 brewed to Reinheitsgebod and just as bloody nice as a Blue Tongue or a Bondi Blonde IMHO.

:icon_offtopic: Hey wortgames, rumour has it that you originally posted that incredible beer conversion chart PDF thingo. If so then thanks, best thing I've seen for ages. Any chance of putting up a thread to distribute it to the 'new' generation of people like myself on the forum?? :icon_cheers:

I'm not talking about the larger breweries I'm talking abou the large chains of bottle shops that sell craft beer at outragous prices with respect to your smaller bottle shops, I don't think many people would complain that the smaller brweries have to charge more for their beer when selling it to a bottle shop or whatever but that the place the average consumer buys it from charge throught hte teeth.

Aaron

yeah fair call, but dans or 1st choice are the cheapest ive seen, also are big chains. Any other bottle shop I've been into, small privately owned ones as well as chains like bottlemart or liquorland or BWS want to charge $23 or so instead of $18 for a 6 pack of LCPA for example which is a little bit lame. Like fair enough the small private business ones are always a bit more exxy not having the buying power of the big guys, but places like liquorland etc i think should be able to compete with places like dans easily...

I've only had access to Dan's for a couple of months and I'm amazed at the range of individual 500ml bottles of Euro beers from the Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, Ukraine... and all at below $4 at the moment. That's nearly a pint - it's a scandal about the excise on our local craft breweries, not that the wowser lesbian whale huggers care. However surely the employment and 'home grown' aspect should count for something. A carton of craft 330s is 8 litres so even buying singles of Euros that works out at around $60 for the equivalent amount of beer, and shipped around the planet at that.

And although it's not 'craft' I bought an Oettinger for $30 brewed to Reinheitsgebod and just as bloody nice as a Blue Tongue or a Bondi Blonde IMHO.

:icon_offtopic: Hey wortgames, rumour has it that you originally posted that incredible beer conversion chart PDF thingo. If so then thanks, best thing I've seen for ages. Any chance of putting up a thread to distribute it to the 'new' generation of people like myself on the forum?? :icon_cheers:
explain yourself on the scandel on excise for local craft beers

Mickey: Follow the link I posted earlier in the thread, that has plenty of info regarding craft beer excise.

For that sort of money I could buy some of the world's finest beers, brewed in their country of origin with the finest malt, barley and water for the style. Why on earth should I spend exactly the same dollars on some tossy 'microbrew', brewed around the corner using the same bloody tap water I use and CHEAPER malt and hops (pellets usually) than what I use in my own beers?

Perhaps it's not a cool attitude for a 'home microbrewer' to hold but I really feel that somebody's taking the piss sometimes.
whos taking the piss, the bottle shops or the micros. as far as water goes we have the best. and dont get sucked in by the labels saying the finest malt,barley. we have access to all types of malt from around the world, all the best hops, and all micros r not tossers. of course the prices would be slightly cheaper than what you would buy because we r in the trade. we r only small wortgames and we cant help our prices being a little higher than overseas beers. get the goverment to drop excise and things might change. back the small micro mate dont bag us. :icon_chickcheers:

You have NO idea......

Latest posts

Back