Expensive Microbrew Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree - I pay it occasionally but I spit chips every time.

For that sort of money I could buy some of the world's finest beers, brewed in their country of origin with the finest malt, barley and water for the style. Why on earth should I spend exactly the same dollars on some tossy 'microbrew', brewed around the corner using the same bloody tap water I use and CHEAPER malt and hops (pellets usually) than what I use in my own beers?

Perhaps it's not a cool attitude for a 'home microbrewer' to hold but I really feel that somebody's taking the piss sometimes.

+1 on Beersom's comment as well - I think a field trip to one of these "tossy microbreweries" is in order to educate yourself about what goes into making the beers you see on the shelves of your local micro-brew supplier. The breweries I have been to here in SE Qld are very fussy about the processes which are used in brewing their beers and IMHO it shows in the quality of the result. The prices are fair and reasonable given the small quantities brewed, the amount of effort that goes into the brewing/packaging/marketing and the unfairness in the way that the government handles the taxation of beers brewed on a small scale.

I'd also love to know which world-class beers you buy for comparible/cheaper prices than their Aussie counterparts...

My 2c

:icon_offtopic: Hey wortgames, rumour has it that you originally posted that incredible beer conversion chart PDF thingo. If so then thanks, best thing I've seen for ages. Any chance of putting up a thread to distribute it to the 'new' generation of people like myself on the forum?? :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic:
Hey Bribie - It's in the wiki under how to balance a draft system http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=24

It's the chart I've always used - brilliantly put together

cheers Ross

bit OT but i paid $105 for a box of O'Briens gluten free beer....oh how nice was it for the bottle shop attendant to knock 10 bucks off the price....

So yeah I reckon if you know of a place that sells craft beers at a reasonable price post it up and show support.

Original thread topic suggestion was this rather than ' gee I hate paying lots of money'.

If you buy boutique beer for a good price as opposed to a rip-off price (blame the retailer, not the brewer) than WHERE do you get it?

That's how I read the OP and it would save all this silly arguing about excises and big chains and such. If it's too pricey for you learn to brew it or buy it somewhere else or buy cheaper beer.

Original thread topic suggestion was this rather than ' gee I hate paying lots of money'.

If you buy boutique beer for a good price as opposed to a rip-off price (blame the retailer, not the brewer) than WHERE do you get it?

That's how I read the OP and it would save all this silly arguing about excises and big chains and such. If it's too pricey for you learn to brew it or buy it somewhere else or buy cheaper beer.

Who's a little grumpy wumpy then? :rolleyes:

Chappo

Just had my worst brewing weekend ever so maybe me?

First all brew infection and my attempted all apple cider went wrong in every which way possible (melted my girlfriend's juicer, damaged my friend's food processor, extracted half the amount of juice I should have and had to add 12 L of ALDI to what should have been my first all apple) AND I PUT MY LEFT SHOE ON MY RIGHT FOOT!!

OF COURSE I'M A GRUMPY WUMPY.

Also I'm out of brew and having to drink cleanskin wine and other things.

First all brew infection and my attempted all apple cider went wrong in every which way possible (melted my girlfriend's juicer, damaged my friend's food processor, extracted half the amount of juice I should have and had to add 12 L of ALDI to what should have been my first all apple) AND I PUT MY LEFT SHOE ON MY RIGHT FOOT!!

:eek:
Bloody hell manticle! Better have another glass or three! Glad I'm not inyour house hold tonight!

Cheers and Beers GUMPY BUM!

Chappo :icon_cheers:

:eek:
Bloody hell manticle! Better have another glass or three!

Yeah but he's got nothing good to drink.

Back on topic, kinda. I would think that for a good beer you would probably expect to pay extra. I have no such choice here but usually, when in the big smoke go to Dan Murphy. Last time I was at the Underwood shop and they had Chimay Blue Reserve for $17 for a 750ml bottle.

Cheers
Gavo.

Yeah but he's got nothing good to drink.

Back on topic, kinda. I would think that for a good beer you would probably expect to pay extra. I have no such choice here but usually, when in the big smoke go to Dan Murphy. Last time I was at the Underwood shop and they had Chimay Blue Reserve for $17 for a 750ml bottle.

Cheers
Gavo.

yeah true, but i just don't reckon that retailers (not all but some) should charge so much that no wonder people don't buy micro brews. Again to all who think I'm putting blame on the brewers I'M NOT!!! I'm blaming retailers that charge eccesive amounts for our local produce and I think that as well as supporting the brewers we should support the bottle shops that choose not to charge outrageous ammounts for a nice beer.

Aaron

Goddamn! Sucks to be you for sure... :blink: Hopefully it won't be too long before you are drinking the fruits of your labours again Manticle... :beerbang:

Goddamn! Sucks to be you for sure... :blink: Hopefully it won't be too long before you are drinking the fruits of your labours again Manticle... :beerbang:

Fortunately the brew in question is not either of my recently posted AG brews which both taste fine - one racked to secondary today and the other began cold conditioning. If they end up OK I'll be a happy camper soonish.

For choice you cant beat Murphy`s for mine, although the fridge at Grain and Grape and The Brewers Den holds some beauties, Du Pont for one.

I found Dupont at the Swords place in the Vic Market. More convenient than Yarraville, for me at least. Mind you, they don't sell grain, or hops, and the yeast they sell is not directly pitchable. :D

T.

If you get your hands on a price list from a distributor, you'll find most craft breweries are wholesaling their beer at the 50-60$/slab mark (ex GST). Anything above that covers the retailer's costs. Fortunately we aren't as tied down here as the yanks are with a 3-tier system (see "Beer Wars") so you can usually buy directly from the brewery. That has got to be the best price going.

Fortunately we aren't as tied down here as the yanks are with a 3-tier system (see "Beer Wars")

:icon_offtopic: I'd recommend looking it up online instead. Dreadful film. DREADFUL!

Your first documentary?

Just got Beer Wars and was looking forward to watching it - you fellas have me nervous now!

My faves for craft beer are -

Stock Cheapies:
Dan Murphy's
First Choice
IGA Liquor (The one on St Georges Rd, Nth Fitzroy pulls up a few surprises)
Liquorland (some of them have surprised me from time to time)

Cheapie imports:
Mediterranean Wholesalers Sydney Rd Coburg (Anything Italian beerwise is low here)
Asian Grocer CBD Russell st 4-6 doors along from hungry jacks (the one on the cnr of Bourke St). Real asian beer, not brewed under license shite.

Regular Haunts for the good stuff and huge range of craft and import:
Purvis Cellars, Cnr Union Rd & Whitehorse Rd, Surrey Hills (20% discounts on 6 stubbies quite often)
Purvis Cellars
Acland Cellars, Acland St KildaAcland Cellars (Quite often have case specials up the front)
King & Godfree, Lygon St Carlton. (Just some darn good beer - not that many specials but you never know)

Hopper.

bit OT but i paid $105 for a box of O'Briens gluten free beer....oh how nice was it for the bottle shop attendant to knock 10 bucks off the price....
Most of our retailers have it for $80-85 so maybe shop around a bit, if you come to the brewery you can get it for $68!

Genuine micro's are competitive with the likes of LC, Matilda Bay and JS who are in the $18-23 per 6-pack range at my local Dan Murphys. Most of the other bottle shops around here only stock mainstream craft beer and the best priced would probably be the IGA liquor stores.

Cheers, Andrew.

Hey wortgames, rumour has it that you originally posted that incredible beer conversion chart PDF thingo. If so then thanks, best thing I've seen for ages. Any chance of putting up a thread to distribute it to the 'new' generation of people like myself on the forum?? :icon_cheers:
No worries BribieG, glad it's found some use. It's not everyone's cup of tea but I've posted a new thread as suggested, you're probably right that there are now a new generation of brewers who would use it if they had it.
:beer:

whos taking the piss, the bottle shops or the micros. as far as water goes we have the best. and dont get sucked in by the labels saying the finest malt,barley. we have access to all types of malt from around the world, all the best hops, and all micros r not tossers. of course the prices would be slightly cheaper than what you would buy because we r in the trade. we r only small wortgames and we cant help our prices being a little higher than overseas beers. get the goverment to drop excise and things might change. back the small micro mate dont bag us. :icon_chickcheers:

Hi Mickey, you're right it was probably an unfair swipe but it does piss me off a bit. I'm not in the trade so it is not for me to say whether it is the microbrewery, the retailer or the government that is taking the piss, all I know is that for some absurd reason I pay the same for a 'commercial homebrew' from round the corner as I pay for the world's legendary beers shipped half way round the planet. Go figure. I also have a completely irrational hatred of hop pellets, and it really gets my goat to do a microbrewery tour where some bloke presents a schooner full of effing pellets and tells the crowd that this is what hops look like. It isn't. Hops are beautiful, delicate flowers that come from a field, not a rat turd full of bastardised powder that comes from a factory. Whether it makes any difference to the taste I don't really care, it's more a philosophy about treating your ingredients with respect, using the whole natural ingredient and not just the part that some factory tells you is the bit you need. Brewing beer isn't about convenience. What's next, using DME instead of 'whole malt' because it's 'more convenient'? Exactly what is it we're paying for if breweries won't do anything 'inconvenient'? Grrr...

I haven't sampled much microbrew of late I have to confess (not since the microbrewery showcase of maybe 2007?) , so if yours is a really special beer that I couldn't brew myself and you use the best (rather than the most 'economically realistic') ingredients then hats off to you and maybe I should shut up and buy some. But I got a bit sick of paying top dollar for slabs of essentially homebrew that are merely a COPY of the world's great styles, using cheaper varieties of malt to do it than I would buy, and bloody pellet hops that I won't touch with a pole in my own brewery. If I'm going to spend the best part of $100 a slab I'd rather buy, I don't know, Pilsner Urquell or Guinness or Boddingtons or Kozel or Newcastle Brown or Gosser or some other beer that I know I'd have trouble emulating myself and which probably AREN'T brewed with rat turds. Better yet spend 'not that much' more and get a bloody Trappist or something really special that offers a spiritual experience and makes me glad to be alive.

I'm not anti-microbrew by any stretch but I feel like we're being asked to pay too much for it, and there are a few designer tossbags popping up peddling particularly crappy instant powderbrau spoiling the scene for the good ones.

FWIW I really, REALLY enjoyed LCPA when it first appeared in Victoria but even that doesn't get me so excited any more. Whether it's changed or whether I've just become a miserable git I don't know.

In fact I'm pretty sure I'm just a miserable git, so ignore me ;)

Latest posts

Back