Expectation Versus Reality

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll give that a crack too. Thanks for the tip.

I wimped out. Just went to the bottleshop, and the guy pulled out some bottles & talked me through the 'four stages of Lambic Apprciation for the Newbie', the first being a relativly 'inoffensive' Lindemans Faro (with added sugar), then the Lindemans Gueuze, then something else, then the Cantillon 100% bio. So i went for the Faro for starters, and will try it later.

James, he also mentioned that they dont stock Berliner Weisee because of the short shelf life and the fact that they dont move very quickly.. Even with the 15 or so lambics, he says he might only sell 3 bottles a week.

I gotta say Cantillon Gueuze is a step in the deep end.
Even compared to other unsweetened lambics, it's very sour in comparison. Possibly not as funky as some i've come across, like Hanssens or Oude Beersel, who tend to have a more prominant stinky "horse" component about them, but I found Cantillon an absolute sour menace on the palate...in a good way.
The first Gueuzes' I ever came across were the sweeter, big name ones; Lindemans, Timmermans, Mort Subtile, Belle Vue. Less sour, less funk, but still interesting beers...like comparing the tartness of natural yoghurt to grapefruit rind.

Back