Ever Run Out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
:eek:

So last night I hit up the fridge for an ale. I knew I was getting low, having blown dry on one of the three kegs in the fridge - was trying to save the last of a fantastic SNPA clone for the weekend, so went to the Mongrel Keg tap.

Got 1/2 way up the glass and sprayed foam everywhere. Bugger. Went to top up with the SNPA, got another 1/4 of the way up the glass and whammo - she's gone!

So, out of six possible kegs, I'm down to:

1 x full fermenter (Choc Stout) which is ready to keg
5 x longnecks of an English Bitter

So, have you ever run out and what did you do to remediate - ie... double batching / three day ferments / K&K fall back plans / buy commercial?!

Cheers Mike

similar thing happened to me, lead to 2 consecutive AFD's, then a night on the single malt, and force carb a just finished fermenting APA, then all was good. i vow not to go through this again. AFD's are fine - but not when it's forced!

Yup right there with you.

Just after the holiday season I ran out.

After a bout of mates coming to visit and knocking the bottle stock down to next to nothing.

1.5 kegs done at xmas (and I wasn't even there had to work).

2 weeks later had my daughters naming ceremony 2.5 kegs done. (had no more kegs in stock)

Took a months holiday interstate.

came back and finished what was left of the bottle stock while madly trying to catch up.

Since then have bought a cube & second fermenter in the aid to catch up. I have since had two fermenters running non stop.

Only just starting to recover now.

I've had a C02 tank run empty on the eve of a long weekend during summer. :(

Grrrr.... This thread is too scary to contemplate. :blink:

Warren -

Yep , does happen sometimes , thats when I buy a cube and go to the bottlo to try some specialty beers for ideas to replenish stock.
It's a real downer when it does happen though.

Lagers

I brew more than I drink so haven't ran out yet.

I would get scared if I was down to my last 2 kegs

Kabooby :p

I'm pretty careful, I keep a close eye on them as I never want to run dry hehe. As soon as I have some empty kegs a I plan a new batch, I've got 2 of 5 kegs empty at the moment, almost 3 so I've got 1 fermenting now and 2 planned :)

Edit - And if I get REALLY low I'll grab some James Squier Golden Ale or something like that

yes. It's not good.
I've got two fermenters ready to bottle next week, a heap of bottles to fill, and a kit ready to go after it.

Pete - want me to sling you a keg, so you don't have to bottle all that beer? Downside is it'll be in my keg fridge..... :huh:

Pete - want me to sling you a keg, so you don't have to bottle all that beer? Downside is it'll be in my keg fridge..... :huh:
Feel free to drop the fridge over anytime then, MV! :icon_chickcheers:

Two weeks ago, my last keg blew dry (wheat beer) and I had a Southern English Brown that wasn't quite ready to keg. Only had to wait two days so no big drama. I usually don't mind when I go without for a few days because I know when the new keg is carbed and ready if I'm impressed with it I'll give it a bit of a serious nudge anyway.

So, have you ever run out and what did you do to remediate - ie... double batching / three day ferments / K&K fall back plans / buy commercial?!

K&K is getting deperate. Buy Coopers'.

The Zymocenosilicaphobic in me prevents this from ever ever happening.
I can't begin to think what my state of mind would be if this was ever an occurrence. The horror.

Buy more kegs, have more fermenters and keep the fermenters active.
Brew double batches, and have a couple of AFD's a week and you'll be set.

Beers,
Doc

So, out of six possible kegs, I'm down to:

1 x full fermenter (Choc Stout) which is ready to keg
5 x longnecks of an English Bitter

Cheers Mike

Mike - coming to your place Sunday - can't stay , will pick up that brew you owe me. Choc Stout fine.

:lol:

Just kidding !

It's been years since I did one, I'm almost tempted to brew one to see how bad it is again...

I have room for only two kegs in fridge so one tends to be the can of Coopers mini mashed with grain & crystals for the free loaders :icon_vomit: Simpler than the full mash and they don't care (actually last one was damn tasty). But now I have a wheatie gassing up for the Saturday IBU Brew Day and the other an English Ale (mine, all mine).

Coopers with additions better than no beer at all (just :icon_cheers: )

ran out once and had to start drinking stubbies from K&K days
lets say i wont be running out again

So, have you ever run out

No, never. Won't allow it to happen.

Shit, I start to to get worried when I have one keg empty out of eight.

At the moment I've got two empty kegs;......... I'm really starting to panic! :eek:

I thought I would never run out. I am too meticulous in my planning. I did what Doc suggests and bought more kegs, etc.

However, I went away for a couple of weeks and asked my neighbour to feed the dog and the fish and water the plants. "feel free to sample from the kegs!" I said, thinking he wouldn't even put a dent in 4 full kegs. He took my offer very literally, invited his mates around to watch the footy 2 weekends in a row and polished off all 4 kegs! <_<

I couldn't get angry because he was a builder and helped renovate my kitchen for free. Nevertheless I was on expensive commercial craftbeer for a week until a quick wheatie could get from grain to brain!

Cheers - Snow.

Back