European Vacation....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devo

Str8outtaCoburg
Reaction score
Me and the missus may possibly(hoping) to be heading over to Europe for about 4 weeks and will most likely be visiting the UK, Germany, France and the Czech republic.

To help save me some of the leg work I was hoping some of you here could suggest some breweries, pubs etc of quality beer interest that I should be making a "B" line to!?!

cheers
devo

First stop Devious one (lucky so and so) <_<

Czech Republic means Staropramen brewery tour in Prague. :beerbang:

Germany speaks for itself. If you're in Munich go to Augustiner and Schneider Brauhaus. Paris is just cool by itself. Best place I found to drink there was Hall's Beer Tavern in rue St. Denis. Oodles of beers from around the world and great food. :super:

Can't fit an envious near-neighbour in your case can ya? :lol:

Warren -

if you are heading to Nottingham,UK, check out the "ye olde trip to jerusalem". its a pub which dates back to 1189ad,built under the castle into a series of caves.well worth a look and a pint!,
hope your trip comes off,
gundaroo :beer:

The UK will depend very largely on where you are going within it.

Good idea to visit the Camra site or try and beg, borrow or steal a reasonably up to date copy of the Camra Good Beer Guide.

Otherwise, post some more detail on where you are thinking about and I can raid my copy for some details...

The beer in France is better around the areas that border belgium but anywhere you can probably get some decent brews. http://www.frenchbeer.info/ should give you some starting points...

Jenlain are good.

boy I loved that movie :)
Holiday woo aaaahh aaaahhhh.....

As for actual holiday advice, throw out the Lonely Planets and get copies of CAMRA's Good Beer Guides to the UK, Germany and the Czech Republic to decide where to go. Too easy.

For web-based info on continental Europe, this site is a great start.

devo....send Ross a PM or wait for him to reply....he's off to the UK in August and im sure he has a list as long as your arm of beer houses to visit.
Cheers
Steve

As for actual holiday advice, throw out the Lonely Planets and get copies of CAMRA's Good Beer Guides to the UK, .... to decide where to go. Too easy.

That's exactly what we did on our last trip. It would go like this:

Visit wife's relative. Use book to find local pubs to visit. Drive to next relative using book to determine stop off point. ( I drove in the morning a lot :D ).

Repeat above procedure.

cheers everyone, this is helping big time.

...but keep em coming :p

cheers everyone, this is helping big time.
...but keep em coming :p

Devo,

Leave the key to your garage. Warren and i'll make sure no one pinches your kegs :p

rook

Devo, great work on organising the trip! You have some daunting planning ahead - so many options...

If you get a chance to get to Plzn in Czech Republic, the Pilsner Urquell brewery tour is well worth it. You start at "Beer World" and end up in the miles of cellars underneath the brewery sipping fresh pilsner from wooden casks. I ended up staying a bit longer with the guy pouring the beer (luckily his only English was "more?").

These photos were taken on that wonderful day...
The brewery buildings;
david_pilsnerurquellbrewery__Large_.jpg

That famous gate (featured on the Pilsner Urquell label);
david_pilsnerurquellgates__Large_.jpg

And the result of too many samples;
david_kungfufighting__Large_.jpg

I can also recommend a wander along Oranienburger Strasse (love saying that) in Berlin. Plenty of bullet-hole ridden walls and a grungy, eclectic mix of synagogues and bars. We bar crawled along there for my 25th birthday and one bar looks like a metal workshop, complete with fire-breathing dragon over the bar. Seriously!

There's plenty of places along there to try some sour Berliner Weisse. Try it on its own, but the locals like it with red or green cordial.

As Warren said, Paris is good enough to just wander around. Don't buy any beers on Champs Elysses - kind of pricey! Here's a photo of the Paris Metro system, taken through the eyes of someone who's enjoyed too many Kroenenbourgs;

David_ParisMetroDrunk__Large_.jpg

Good luck with the planning - looking forward to a quiet pint soon. Cheers.

edit: Here's some Berlin bullet holes to go on with. Seriously, this has to be my favourite European capital, so much history, so much going on....

david_bulletholesberlin__Large_.jpg

Devo, any reason you guys are skipping Belgium (aside from time-limitation)?

reVox

Well the missus has managed to get approval from work to take 4 weeks off so long as she can get her forward planner sorted, things are looking good, fingers crossed. We maybe heading over around Sept/Oct so hopefully we can get to Oktoberfest in Munich.

If all goes to plan and we spend at least a week in Germany I'm hoping to duck over to Belgium for a day or 2.

cheers everyone for all the tips and suggestions thus far.

Well the missus has managed to get approval from work to take 4 weeks off so long as she can get her forward planner sorted, things are looking good, fingers crossed. We maybe heading over around Sept/Oct so hopefully we can get to Oktoberfest in Munich.

If all goes to plan and we spend at least a week in Germany I'm hoping to duck over to Belgium for a day or 2.
cheers everyone for all the tips and suggestions thus far.

Devo

Might have to catch up at the Oktoberfest in Munich. I'm trying to plan a trip about the same time to Europe. There sure is a lot of planning involved for a trip like this. let me know how you go

:beer:
BS

orsum, will do.

I think the missus is getting concerned that this will end up becoming a beer expedition rather than a honeymoon/holiday but a man has his needs u know :p

And it'd be a sad waste of 40+ hours flying not to pop across the channel to see Britain... they have some great beer too

Devo,

All the best with the trip mate. Belgium (generally) is quite mundane, however there is a quaint little tourist town near the French border called Brugge with a working brewery called de halve maan (roughly translated to the half moon).
The beer isn't overly exceptional, but it's a fun place to down a couple.

Most lager's brewed (the mass produeced ones anyway) in the UK are very ordinary! they make you crook in the guts till you get used to the preservatives they put in! (Serious).

No need to say anymore about Czech. There is a nice little brewery in Cesky Krumlov too, although the place will packed if you are there at a peak time.

The Germans know how to brew. Even their mass produced mega swill is generally pretty good.
Paulaner, Hofbrau, Augustiner are all great.

At the Fest try and avoid the groups of drunk Aussie bogans! Although the groups of Italians were way more annoying!
Mingle with the locals, eat pretzels and half chickens and drink plenty of steins, they cost about 7 euros but if you can drink 6-8 and still walk you're doing extremely well! Prozit I am Prozit......

Cheers & Beers

Griffo

Back