Esky to mash tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben1

Reaction score
Hey guys

This is a super silly question but I'm trying to convert my esky to a mash tun and struggling to put together a tap that doesn't result in a leak.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424591501.813094.jpg

If anyone could point me towards what I need to grab from the big green shed that would be amazingly appreciated!!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424591574.220016.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424591596.887874.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424591614.497807.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424591630.964830.jpg

Between the inner and out walls is there a void or are they glued together where the tap is.

What you really want is an external threaded tube and some big flange nuts from the plumbing isle. You may need to go to reec or tradelink

Make washers from silicon baking trays from BigW

a3242412-8c54-4298-b0f4-c09d6b2cfcb4.JPG

brass-basin-and-kitchen-tap-nut-1-2in-wide-flange-07000290-1779-p.jpg

Pretty much what stu has indicated. All thread, 2 locknuts, 2 homemade silicon washers and you're laughing.

Thanks for the quick response guys!

The inner and outer wall are connected, no void.

I see now my nipple is too short. I have 2 lock nuts so that is a win. Is it possible with the right nipple I could use the 2 red rings I have in place of a silicon washer?

I never really considered it by nyloc locknuts would provide excellent sealant instead of thread tape (assuming flanged silicone washers are all good). Can't comment on the effects of nylon in wort though.

I'd say that your biggest problem is leakage along the threads, so as above, put thread tape around the brass bit to seal the nut and valve and stop water getting past them.

Also as above, a flange nut on the inside, and a washer against the valve will help the oring to seal.

Could try this before investing in allthread and flanges, but they will be best practice (..ermm...solution really.......)

You want flange nuts both sides as normal nuts end up cutting into the plastic

Thanks again for the advice guys!

I would love to get the flange nuts but see the shed don't sell them. Any recommendations on where to pick these up? Preferably somewhere that's open after work? I see trade link shuts at 4.30, mitre 10's website is average and nothing on the Masters website.

I've had no leakage whatsoever on mine using the Craftbrewer lock nuts with flat silicone washers and, of course, thread tape. Flange washers would be ideal though.

I'd be surprised if Bunnings doesn't have them. That's where I got mine.

Thanks all, your help is greatly appreciated. I'll go to bunnings tonight and report back on how I went.

Went to Bunnings tonight, got the nipple and thread tape. No luck on flange nuts or silicon washers. Gave it a go with the O ring and it was still leaking. Will definitely need the silicone washers. I'm going to Craftbrewer on the weekend so will just buy a couple save me trying to make them and butchering a baking tray.

The saga continues!

Ben1 said:
Went to Bunnings tonight, got the nipple and thread tape. No luck on flange nuts or silicon washers. Gave it a go with the O ring and it was still leaking. Will definitely need the silicone washers. I'm going to Craftbrewer on the weekend so will just buy a couple save me trying to make them and butchering a baking tray.

The saga continues!
Nothing worse than trying to get your new toys going and running into probs. I installed a manifold on a 60L Techniice esky in Jan. Started down the 'use the bunghole' path but was proving to be difficult for several reasons including low set drain, having to grind out stop in reducing bush, incompatible thread between bung and reducer etc etc etc. In the end I got my drill on and it was sweet.

Your setup seems a bit more straight forward using the existing bung.

Update: I remembered that the original plug had a silicone washer. That plus additional thread tape seems to have done it!!

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate the detailed, simple responses on something which was likely an obvious thing to you guys!

Back