Esky Size Vs False Bottom Size For Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curry

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm starting to setup my first AG system.

I'm looking at getting a 50-70lt Esky for my mash tun and I was originally planning on buying the premade Beerbelly False bottom. However I am now concern that the size of the false bottom won't be big enough.

For example:

50l Fibreglass Esky - 623 x 263mm
False Bottom - 320 x 130

In other words only half of the bottom will be covered. Is this acceptable or do I need to build a bigger false bottom?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Cheers

Dave

I use the BeerBelly false bottom in an 80L esky no probs at all.

I am looking at making something bigger, like a sheet of the same material as the BB false bottom but flat and big enough to cover the entire bottom.

And that's mostly because:

a ) I'm never satisfied til things are as big and awesome as possible
b ) I LOVE shiny stainless steel
c ) I want to start recirculating my mash and know no matter how I crush my grain I won't have a problem.

I normally do double batches - 10-12kg of grain and have found 1.5mm crush is awesome for speed sparging. I get roughly 75% efficiency (as Beersmith calculates efficiency).

P.S. You won't regret getting the BB false bottom, provided he has them in stock and it doesn't take you 2 or 3 months to get one.

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm going to go ahead and order.

Cheers

Dave

Hi, if the Beer Belly is not available, we stock the Rubbermaid 37 litre cooler and matching false bottom, with stainless steel taps. You can find then on www.brewerschoice.com.au

Decided to take a gamble and go for a 60 litre fibreglass ice box with the beerbelly false bottom.

Seeing I will have a spare floor space on the bottom of the ice box is there a ideal position to place the false bottom. At this stage I'm thinking right in the middle. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dave

Back