Esky Size For Double Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
I have been keeping an eye out recently as I have started doing double batchs with a mate and we need a bigger mash tun. The last 2 times we have gotten away with using a 25L fermenter wrapped in a beach towel .. crude but worked ok....

We want to get a more permanent solution and have started looking at cheap eskys .. mainly around the 42L size, but they all seem to be sold with other items like freezer blocks etc for around the $70 mark.

I was thinking about using a 33L esky as we already have one .. but will it be big enough to hold 10kg of crushed grain and water? Although the last 2 brews have worked ok with a 25L fermenter should we just bit the bullet and by a 40L+ esky? just wondering what you guys think before we modify it and find it isn't quite big enough.

Cheers!

Hey man pity you're not in Melb. I got a second hand 48lt Igloo from Mr Cashman for $5. Good condition. I never used it. Sometimes sit my glass and rest my feet on it when I'm in the back porch. That's where the (theoretical) keg fridge is going.

That's not much help I suppose. If the 33l esky isn't big enough, split it and use the blanket & fermenter too.

Cheers anyway

Personally I would buy a bigger one. I brewed an IPA today which was 8.1kg of grain and it filled my 36L (gatorade-style) cooler up to within only 3-4 inches from the brim. That kind of annoyed me a bit because I thought the 36L coolers were capable of doing true double batches but, like you, a double batch I have planned is around 10kg and I can't see it fitting in. That is, unless I brew it heavier than the 2.7L/1kg ratio I currently use, but I don't fancy going too much heavier than I am currently if I can avoid it.

I would go to 40-45L to be safe. I'm sure you could do it in a 33L esky but it would mean mashing heavy (less than 2.5L/kg). If you batch sparge it may also present a problem with having enough headspace in the mash tun.

Keep your eyes open for some of those coolers they had at the Commonwealth games. Big yellow Schweppes one looked over 100 litres. They look the same diameter as the 57 litre Keep Cool, but taller.
Cheers
Gerard

Gerard_M said:
Keep your eyes open for some of those coolers they had at the Commonwealth games. Big yellow Schweppes one looked over 100 litres. They look the same diameter as the 57 litre Keep Cool, but taller.
Cheers
Gerard
[post="116561"][/post]​

Oooooh one of those would be nice.
Noticed yesterday that my esky is starting to show the strains of many years as a mash tun. Keeping my eyes open working out the upgrade plans.

Beers,
Doc

My main mash tun is an Igloo Legend 54 which is 54 US quarts or about 50L

I have made double batches in it before if I multi batch sparge or fly sparge and if I do a single batch (23-25L) then I can fill the mash tun all the way to the top with my sparge water and once the run off is set walk away and forget it till it fills the kettle.

It too is showing some signs of being overworked as a mash tun, I tink pouring a few litres of boiling water into it in the one spot was not very helpful as it has delaminated a bit at the bottom!

I use a 45L coleman esky, and I tend to use alot of grain apparently, cause a double batch of 1065 needed 13.6kg of grain, and my mash tun fitted it in (just), but I also mash in at 2.1L/kg. Wouldnt have been able to fit it all in at 2.3L/kg. I am batch sparging also, and I have to run two lots of sparge water into the tun to rinse the gains. If you are like alot of people and mash in at around 3L/kg, I would probably be looking for a 50L+ esky if you wanna do double batches alot. Mine cost me $79, but to be quite honest, after weeks of shopping around for a bargain, I decided to bite the bullet. Quite a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but well worth it in the end.
All the best
Trent

Another option to consider is if you can find a legal (of course) 50 litre cylindrical stainless steel vessel ;) Wrapped with a camping mat and fitted with a false bottom it works very well and should handle your double batches with ease :)

Shawn.

Over the weekend I found my 33 Litre mash tun isn't big enough for a big brew. I needed to mash 16Kg of grain for a barley wine, and wound up having to do two batches. After this experience I wouldn't even consider a double batch without a considerably larger tun.

Agro.

I picked up a 50lt 'Esky' brand name esky from Big W foer about $60 on special...yes it came with an array of extras too

Latest posts

Back