Esky For 50 Litre Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gundaroo

Reaction score
its the time of year our crew at work head away for a weekend of fishing,golf and of course drinking.
our problem is, keeping 50 litre kegs cool for the trip down the coast and while we are there.
i was thinking of constructing a box out of coolroom panels and filling with ice,then just using a pluto gun to dispense.
does anyone have any ideas,i do not want to take the gas bottle and will talk to the guys at the lhbs about other gas options.
cheers gundaroo

its the time of year our crew at work head away for a weekend of fishing,golf and of course drinking.
our problem is, keeping 50 litre kegs cool for the trip down the coast and while we are there.
i was thinking of constructing a box out of coolroom panels and filling with ice,then just using a pluto gun to dispense.
does anyone have any ideas,i do not want to take the gas bottle and will talk to the guys at the lhbs about other gas options.
cheers gundaroo

Where you heading - plenty of room in my fridge for your keg ! And you haven't really played golf until you've played Tuross ! :icon_cheers:

Where you heading - plenty of room in my fridge for your keg ! And you haven't really played golf until you've played Tuross ! :icon_cheers:
heading to batemans bay,thinking of playing narooma and catalina,
pm me and we should catch up.
gundaroo

Get a cold plate or a coil and make up a magic/jockey box. the plate/coil sits in an esky of Ice/slurry and cools the beer as it passes through. Coils can be made from beer line to keep the cost down. There are some pics on here somewhere (I think it KGB & fingerlickin_b have done this with beer line, I use a cold plate).

Can't find the post but you could do something like this

more info

The Magic box idea is okay, but if you're not keen on doing ice-runs it's a better idea to chill the whole keg in a fridge the day before and then putting it in the esky and ice.
You'll need less ice in the long-run to keep something cold that is already cold, instead of cooling a warm liquid on the fly like a magic box.
You may even get the whole weekend out of one fill of ice with a good esky.

If you get a blue plastic 44 and cut it in half across the middle you can sit your keg in then fill the sides with ice.
We use this when we go to mulwala.
We still use a jockey box to pour out of though but you could always use one of those beer pumps if you want.
I agree with one of the other posts about getting the keg cold before you go first, just makes sense

Gday all First time poster here and thought this would be the place to post

i work in a landfill {solid waste} and coldroom panels are very easily found
50mm panels free
aluminium angles 80 bucks
i use 19 lt kegs and mine fits 2 just fine, bit hard to carry but once it is set its set dont move
the seal i used an old fridge seal
gate hinges
normal esky rubber lock
drain hole from 19 mm conduit and capped it with the red bung from ur gas bottles
i also installed another hole for my pluto gun so i didnt have to open it up so often
around the hose to the gun i used a black foam that already has a hole going from one end to the other to help keep the hose from sun and keep it cooler
for gas i use 2 methods, 1 is the soda stream way { you can pick up sodastream for about 50 bucks from wollies and once is it empty u can exchange it for about 11 bucks} plus it keeps the kids happy with softdrink if u have enough bottles, only downside to this you need a regulator
2nd i use the old soda water bulbs and a lil trigger, the connection cost me about 50 bucks and a bulb costs about 5 each, this is a quick camping way to go but u can expect to use more bulbs, i havent used this method yet as i havent gone camping, but my mate has it and he ran out of his bottle and used one and told me with a half filled 19 lt keg it took one to totally prime the keg and the next one was just hit and drink, he said he got about 2-4 glasses from a hit

02-10-09_1922.jpg

this is when it was first made dimensions are 980x500x500 outside inside are 880x400x400
ill post more pics when i have set it up as im still in finishing mode
cheers

Nice work Scruff. That's heavy duty - and very green too. Should be more of it.

ok guys i got just a few things to go
so heres the update

09-10-09_1923.jpg

09-10-09_1925.jpg

09-10-09_1929.jpg

enjoy as i am right now

cheers

nice job scruff! That's my kind of Recycling!

Only suggestion would be pluto gun kept inside so the first pour is always a good one. Maybe a slot in the lid or something so you can run it out when "in session" and then put it away for long breaks between drinks(sounds like that not going to happen though!)

Fishing is epic down there. I love the rocks north of Batemans:Drummer.JPG

cheers Guys, Blackfish i thought about doing that but thought against it as i wanted to leave it closed for the longest period as where i go camping its like 1/2- 1 hr drive to get more ice
im still throwing around some ideas, maybe having the gas bolted to the outside and extending the lil bulb trigger to click on the outside then i wouldnt have to open it up at all
any other ideas you lads and lasses can come up with would be great

love these forums keep up the good work

cheers

Latest posts

Back