ESB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Definitely cut back on the crystal. I used to use 500g with around 5 kg base and while I enjoyed it, many found it a touch too toffee like and I've found I prefer around 250g now. I blend light, medium and dark from simpsons in equal amounts.

A hint of toasty malt never goes astray - victory, biscuit, etc although you will get some of that character from maris on its own. Looks good but that yeast can need some assistance as it tends to slow and sometimes stall near the end.
Great thanks Manticle & Bribie

I was aiming for final amount of 19L, so hopefully the OG should be okay?

I think I might go with a different yeast this round, looking to get this finished quite quickly.

New recipe:
4.75 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 94.1 %
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 2 3.0 %
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (236.4 EBC) Grain 3 3.0 %
50.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 30.4 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 -
30.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 9.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 -

For 19l final volume I'll be getting hopefully OG 1.059 and FG 1.015, been having some efficiency problems so hopefully I can hit those targets :)

1318 is a tasty yeast. 1469 is my favourite although most of the Wy UK yeasts are pretty great.

manticle said:
1318 is a tasty yeast. 1469 is my favourite although most of the Wy UK yeasts are pretty great.
I can get 1469 as well, is it reasonably trouble free? :unsure:

1469 is a true top cropper, you'll probably end up with a raft of "popcorn" yeasties floating on the top afterwards. Also being an old Yorkshire Stone Square variety, it likes to ferment at around 17 degrees. Excellent yeast for all Bitters, ESBs etc.

Bribie G said:
1469 is a true top cropper, you'll probably end up with a raft of "popcorn" yeasties floating on the top afterwards. Also being an old Yorkshire Stone Square variety, it likes to ferment at around 17 degrees. Excellent yeast for all Bitters, ESBs etc.
Thanks Bribie :D

1469 is my go-to English yeast. I've tried a fair few wy/wlp varieties and keep coming back to 1469.

Similar to BG and mants, I normally ferment at 17 and warm it up a deg/day after about 5 days with a day or two at 20-21, although that's just probably overkill. Running at 17 still gives lovely results.

If you have another cube of something ready to go, grab a few scoops of that delicious krausen after the first couple of days.

I've currently got an ESB fermenting with WY1084 Irish Ale, I'd normally run with 1469 but had some 1084 on hand so ran with it.

It's only a couple of days in so I've got no idea what the final result will be like but I have quite high hopes for this one, will probably sample tonight.

Please update mate, I have some Irish ale yeast I hope to try in some bitter n milds. When i get over my love of Edinburgh ale yeast that is :)

mje1980 said:
Please update mate, I have some Irish ale yeast I hope to try in some bitter n milds. When i get over my love of Edinburgh ale yeast that is :)

Irish Ale is fantastic in milds mate, I've used it in my last 2, throw some Rye into the mix with a 70 degree 30 minute mash and the low attenuation and slight sweet estery thing that 1084 does makes for a fantastic drop, I'm stuck on it for milds now.

manticle said:
1318 is one of my favorites for UK ales as well. A true top cropper.

Batz

mje1980 said:

Took a sample mid ferment last night, smells Belgiany at the moment, really weird, hoping that the yeast clean the esters up when they finish.

I've got one just about ready to keg - looking foward to it:

95% golden promise
3% caraaroma
2% torrified wheat
touch of carafa for colour

37ish IBU
EKG at 60 min
EKG + stryian goldings in the cube

1469 West Yorkshire yeast

[SIZE=medium]I have decided to follow Spiesy recipe of:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]94% TF Maris Otter.
6% Simpsons Medium Crystal.

32 IBU of EK Goldings at 60mins.
30g EK Goldings at flame out.

67-degree mash for 60 mins.

21 litre batch.
1054 OG. 1016 FG.

WLP005 for 10-days.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I don’t have many EKG (the 30g I do have I will use at flame out) and was thinking of using some target hops for bittering instead, is this a good idea? If so how much should I use? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Im going to do a 21litre batch also, and use 1968 yeast as 1469 was out of stock.[/SIZE]

Target is fine for bittering uk ales. Use as much as is required to hit target ibu which depends on aa%, gravity and boil time.

im plugging the details into brewmate and it says 75g of target to hit 32IBU for boil, does that sound right?

time01 said:
...and use 1968 yeast as 1469 was out of stock.
Original recipe was with WLP005, from memory. Although I'm sure yours will be just as nice.

spiesy does 75g of target hops sound a bit too much?

Back