ESB with Lyles black treacle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stouter

Reaction score
As a variation to my latest ESB which turned out reasonably ok, I thought to try subbing the 4% of CaraAroma I used in the same recipe for a tin or so of Lyles.
Does this sound silly?
Should I go 50/50 on this and the Cara?
Does my head look big in this hat?

21L batch
4.5kg Maris Otter
0.5kg Munich
0.2kg CaraAroma
0.05 Chocolate malt

30g EKG @60min
25g Fuggles @60min

Wyeast London ESB 1968

Incidentally I've used Lyles golden syrup a bit in bitters/ESB's and also Belgians, though not in the last few years - just forgot, to be honest. It goes fairly well.

Cara-aroma is a great malt and probably shares some of the burnt fruits that treacle has. Might as well try it, though do 100% treacle rather than splitting with cara-aroma...

...assuming 'ok' is good enough for your previous go? I could make a few suggestions but it would be changing too many things at once.

No,
Adr_0 said:
...assuming 'ok' is good enough for your previous go? I could make a few suggestions but it would be changing too many things at once.
No, please be honest, suggestions more than welcome.

Stouter said:
No,
No, please be honest, suggestions more than welcome.
I think roast barley is a far better choice than chocolate as the small amount used (1.5% or less) contributes burnt sugar notes if anything, rather than dry coffee that the chocolate will probably give.

The recipe as it is probably has a bit too much of a 'gap' between the base and the very dark cara-aroma/chocolate.

10% light Munich, if you're looking for more bready sweetness, is probably better being Weyermann Munich II. 10-15% would be fine.

Alternatively you could use a nice light crystal such as Thomas Fawcett's pale crystal which really complements the Maris Otter. It's very pleasant and very nicely fills in on top of the MO base. Maybe 7-10%.

I see now what you mean with "too much gap". I've got roasted barley on hand so my next step will be to get the Munich II and have a play with them.
This might need to be a regular which I continually tweak to compare as I enjoy this style.
I'll give the Lyle's sub a go first to see where that lands me and work from there.
Thanks!

If you can find it Muscovado works very well in this style.
What is the mash temp?

Golden Syrup is used in a lot of Graham Wheeler's real ale clone recipes. I've used it with success in Porters. I don't see why Lyle's wouldn't work.

Latest posts

Back