Esb Partial Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkmad

Reaction score
G'day.
I'm going to try my 3rd partial recipe this weekend. This is what I'm planning. Any feedback on my recipe, particularily my percentages and hop additions etc?

This is for 12L only as thats all my limited equipment can do at present.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 54.5 %
1.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 36.4 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 7.3 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 1.8 %

25.00 gm Challenger [6.60%] (60 min) Hops 24.3 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (30 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
10.00 gm Challenger [6.60%] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU

1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 36.6 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 28.5 EBC

Cheers
BK

Looks good to me, bkmad. That's very light crystal there. Not sure how common that sort of crystal is in English bitters.

Um, just ran that quickly through Promash and I come up with 60IBUs. :eek: That looks like far too many hops to me. I guess you got the hop bill based on a 23litre volume or so and forgot to scale it down. Cut everything back proportionately and all will be well. :beer:

Thanks for the comments Stuster.
You're right about the crystal, I put the wrong stuff in beersmith, I've actually got 145EBC/54.9L crystal. Looks like I'd better halve the chocolate grain to get the colour I was after.

As for IBU's, I'm doing a high gravity boil of 8L and then topping up to 12L in the fermenter as I only have a 10L pot at the moment. Beersmith gives me around 37 IBU's for the 8L boil which seems about right for the style?
Cheers
BK

You may be better off not doing a high gravity boil. I have heard some comments from the brewcasters that it can cause the 'homebrew' taste. Also you are using more hops. You can do the boil with the wort from your partial mash topped up to 8litres. Add the hops as you planned but less, then add the extract 15 minutes from the end of the boil to sanitise it.

Back