Esb Order And Possible Recipes.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, just making an ESB order for a few kilos of grain and some hops to bitter with now that I'm going AG. I've decided on a half-kilo of Pride of Ringwood seeing as I would like to make some Aussie ales and lagers, and a few kilos of malt to let me do some different styles.

I am thinking a kilo each of JW Wheat, Munich and Amber so I can have some simple first brews with a bit of variety. I already have a 25kg sack of JW Traditional Ale so I'm set for base malt for the time being. I haven't placed the order yet so may change some malt or quantities depending on what comes up - if anyone has a 'must have' suggestion on malts or hops I'm all ears.

A simple 100% JW Trad. Ale mash bittered to 25IBU with PoR looks like it might be the go for my first run, but anything after that is all up in the air. Suggestions would be great (don't have to stick to above ingredients but it wouldn't hurt), I'm really just scrounging for ideas at the moment.

Cheers all - boingk

You're gunna need some crystal. 1kg each of medium and dark would last a while if you like bitters ( im a big fan! ), but its up to your taste, you could go light, and medium. Choc is good too, a little goes a long way in ales, except dark ales etc. For aussie ales, lighter crystals would be best, and some wheat too.

For a coopers style ale ( not an exact copy ), go a tiny amount of medium crystal, maybe 1%, then 5% or so wheat, the rest ale. Average gravity, 1.040-50, and bitter to 25-35 IBU. Really up to what you like the look of. Try it, then adjust to suit after its brewed.

Cheers - just the sort of info I was after! I don't think I'll include the Choc or Crystal in my order, however, as the LHBS seems to have them in abundance (probably should have said that to start with). I may up the wheat to 2kg, though, as I don't have the best temperature control system in the world and would rather do a decent ale than a so-so lager.

Thanks again - boingk (*makes list for nest time he's at the LHBS*)

I'd up the amount of munich to closer to 5kg. Surprising how many things you'll use it in. a bit of crystal, a bit of Choc and perhaps a bit of amber would be my suggestions. But in saying that, most of the best beers I've made have been single malt, single hop beers.

My standard store is Ale, Pils in 25kgs, Amber, Munich, Caramunich, Amber, Choc, Pale Choc, Roast Barley, Carafa II and a med crystal. I really only have the stock of Roast barley and Carafa for the stouts I've been doing for my dad.

Personally, unless you have a particular beer in mind, I would ditch the Amber to keep it simple. It is not really needed for many styles, despite what you might think.

Yep, i'd agree with blackbock, its not really a malt you'd use that often.

Thanks for the insight guys, although I've already put the order through.

My rationale behind it is using it for some English ales (no idea what particular styles) and an Amber or two. Especially if I can replicate something akin to JS Amber, which is one of several favourites I wouldn't mind having a go at.

I figure brewing some darker styles now will pay off in a few months come winter anyway.

Cheers - boingk

Latest posts

Back