Esb 3kg Czech Pilsner - Hop Pellets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
Guys - is this normal? I brewed one of these the other night and it was chock full of full sized hop pellets? I've never seen a can of goop with real hops crowding the top - and I've done a couple of these ESB's before.

Maybe I got the last of the batch or something? I'm not complaining as it looks tasty - also added a couple of plugs of Hallertau to aromate better.

Anyone seen this before?

Cheers -Mike

Guys - is this normal? I brewed one of these the other night and it was chock full of full sized hop pellets? I've never seen a can of goop with real hops crowding the top - and I've done a couple of these ESB's before.

Maybe I got the last of the batch or something? I'm not complaining as it looks tasty - also added a couple of plugs of Hallertau to aromate better.

Anyone seen this before?

Cheers -Mike

yep,
standard for the esb 3kg's - dry hopped! - dont leave the extras in too long though - might be a bit overdone.

Yep had the same experience with an ESB pilsner, it turned out great.

Take it easy
:beerbang:

Guys,

I've heard good and bad about ESB 3 kg kits. Such as, they are a little on the thin and weak side, but I'm still keen and trying one. Any opinions on which is the best?

Its normal zoom - its a great drop, done it many times.
Agarn - try the APA with dry US56 and some extra cascade pellets thrown in secondary - sensational!
Cheers
Steve

The traditional Bitter is simply sensational in my books and is a regular part of my beer diet

Cheers

second that Towradgi.

I sent the guys at ESB an email suggesting they make the Irish Red from the frest wort into a 3kg tin, the same as they have done with the APA. They are looking into it, so that'll be good....that was another one of my favourites.
Cheers
Steve

second that Towradgi.

I sent the guys at ESB an email suggesting they make the Irish Red from the frest wort into a 3kg tin, the same as they have done with the APA. They are looking into it, so that'll be good....that was another one of my favourites.
Cheers
Steve

I have an Irish Red on tap at the moment made from the Fresh Wort kit, which I steeped some crystal and something else into - after conditioning for a couple of months, it's just brilliant - I absolutely love it. Smooth, very tasty, comforting - what a nice beer.

Cheers - Mike

Cheers
Steve
The ESB stuff sure is good. I bought some Little Creatures Pale Ale stubbies today, after reading all the rave reviews, and I swear it's virtually the same as ESB's APA fresh wort. I paid near on $20 for a 6 pack at the local Liquorland for the LCPA. From now on I'll be sticking to paying around $35 for 20 litres.

I disagree Thunderlips - LCPA has a massive hop flavour and aroma. The APA FWK from ESB has bugger all hop character and needs substantial additions to come anywhere near LCPA. Still a nice easy brew though.

I disagree Thunderlips
That's Ok :)
I tried the ESB APA (I've had one kegged for about 2 months) right after the LCPA and thought they were very similar. Next up is the ESB Amber Ale.
Can I expect it to be anything like James Squires Amber Ale or is that wishful thinking?

Thunder lips I would say the Irish Red fresh wort is closer to JS Amber ale rather than the amber ale fresh wort. With your APA's try dryhopping with a small handfull of cascade and amarillo (each) in secondary to give them a bit more zing - similar to LCPAs.
Cheers
Steve

I would say the Irish Red fresh wort is closer to JS Amber ale rather than the amber ale fresh wort. With your APA's try dryhopping with a small handfull of cascade and amarillo (each) in secondary to give them a bit more zing - similar to LCPAs.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks Steve. I'll try both suggestions next time.

When I first opened an ESB can I thought it was infected! All I saw was strange lumps forming a hard layer along the top... I brought it to my LHBS and he told me that it was only hops... doh!

I started brewing my first 3kg ESB Pilsener on the weekend, but prepared it kinda differently to the instructions - I boiled it for 60mins with 500gm of Light DME! I also added 10g of fresh saaz plugs 10mins before flameout... i read (after) that the long boil might destroy the origial hop flavours, is this true?

Tim.

I started brewing my first 3kg ESB Pilsener on the weekend, but prepared it kinda differently to the instructions - I boiled it for 60mins with 500gm of Light DME! I also added 10g of fresh saaz plugs 10mins before flameout... i read (after) that the long boil might destroy the origial hop flavours, is this true?

Tim.

Yep! the dry hopping in the can will now be bittering, so depending on how much added hops will see how much bittering there will be.

ahh, ok - so remind me again what dry hopping's for. Aroma I'm guessing?

So what do you reackon I've done to this kit, destroyed it? Remember I added 500g of LME and 10g of saaz at the end...

The REALLY wierd thing was the OG reading - 1.074 at 20C :blink: :huh: :unsure:

I'm pretty sure my Hydrometer is ok... I also dumped the first hydro test-tube full of wort that came out of the tap in-case it was full of sediment.

It seems to be fermenting quite nicely with SafLager 34/70 at 12C in any case... it's been 1 week today since boiling. I'll have a bit of a SG test & taste tonight to see how it's going.

Latest posts

Back