Esb 3kg American Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adric Hunter

Reaction score
I just bought an ESB 3 kg APA kit from the LHBS. Im going to be using US-05. How will this turn out? Will it need extra hops, or malt to make a nice APA? Will it make a nice APA at all? Im aiming for not to bitter but still very hoppy in aroma with a fairly good wack of cascade flavour.

Any tips?

Good Day
The kit is quite good by itself but APA's can always have more hop character. The easiest way is to be brave and throw 20 grams of cascade pellets in the fermenter after 4 to 5 days and then wait another 10 days for them to settle. You might get some hop bits at bottling/kegging but I reckon it fits the style. This is what I am now doing to such styles, just be careful when running the beer out of the fermenter.

They're a nice kit. I find this tastier than the ESB APA Fresh Wort (when they still did them). No need for more malt. I did this kit loads of times. I used to put 15-20gms Cascade in a bowl of boiling water for 10 mins and then pour this in with the kit and water. When I used to rack to secondary I would chuck a small handful of cascade in (dry hop).
Cheers
Steve

I just bought an ESB 3 kg APA kit from the LHBS. Im going to be using US-05. How will this turn out? Will it need extra hops, or malt to make a nice APA? Will it make a nice APA at all? Im aiming for not to bitter but still very hoppy in aroma with a fairly good wack of cascade flavour.

Any tips?

This is a good kit. :icon_drool2: I used to throw 15g Cascade & 10g Willamette (steeped for 10mins) in primary then if racking another 5g of each at this point. This is for your standard 20-23L batch. They are good :chug:

I currently have 2 of these in primary at the moment :)

The first went in last Sunday (11th), just the 3kg contents on its own using the supplied US-05 yeast. OG was 1.050, at the moment it's sitting at 1.013 (fermenting at 22oC). I'm hoping it will come down a little further to give a FG of 1.010 (giving 5.2% ABV).

The second I've just put on, OG was the same. For this brew I've added 15g of Chinook, which I steeped for 20 minutes beforehand. Everything else was the same.

I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Sounds the goods Godzone! I used one of these for my (5th?) brew and added 15g Hallertau to the fermenter - came out beautifully, a nice hoppy head-holding lager. Crystal clear as well.

Cascade would be true to style, so add some of them to the fermenter after a 20min boil with a tablespoon of the extract and half a litre of water. Choose the amount you think is alright - anywhere between 10 and 30g should see it fine. Personally I'd boil 15g and dry-hop in secondary with 10 ;D

Cheers - boingk

Back