Eoi - Sodium Metasilicate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's copper in brass so good to know.

Aluminium and zinc are the others - I presume silicon, HDPE and stainless are all fine (which sums up the rest of my brewery).

Can I feed it dry to my cat?

1: 5kg - I amozziyob
2: 15kg - fraser_john (split Mr_Tyreman, HoppinMad)
3: 5kg - Fents
4: 5kg - WarmBeer
5: 5kg - Mario
6. 5 kg - manticle
7. 10 kg Beerdrinkingbob (split with Fergthebrewer)

6. 5 kg - manticle
8. 5kg - Golani51

Running total = 55kg

Does anyone have some Perc to sell off as well? Any chance someone else interested in doing a bulk buy of percarb as well?

is it biodegradeable in the same/similar way that sodium percarb is?
Does it react badly with any particular materials (specifically any metals like aluminium or brass?)
Especially when dissolved in water (which is how you'd use it) its strongly alkaline (which like caustic soda is also why it works so well) and hence highly corrosive, it can be highly irritating when it comes in contact with the skin, eyes or respiratory tract etc.
In moist air it is corrosive to metals like zinc, aluminium, tin and lead.
Having said that it's used as an 'environmentally friendly' (phosphate-free) substitute in cleaning powders.

Hey Yob - same off-the-record type deal for me as per last time, but I'll definitely be in and chuck in whatever needs chucking in to round out costs etc should the need arise.

it can be highly irritating when it comes in contact with the skin

So irritating that you need to wear gloves?

I have no problems with sticking my arm into PBW solution, am I right to assume that the same applies?

So irritating that you need to wear gloves?

I have no problems with sticking my arm into PBW solution, am I right to assume that the same applies?
I bet you don't wear a safty-glasses, face mask and long clothing (that you then wash immediately afterward) when working with StarSan either (but that's what you're supposed to use according to the bottle I have here). :)

so is it aluminium friendly or not? if its not im out as i'll only use it on my kettle...

Cool, thanks.

Give it a shot.

6. 5 kg - manticle

Two more questions sorry Dr S - is it biodegradeable in the same/similar way that sodium percarb is?
Does it react badly with any particular materials (specifically any metals like aluminium or brass?)

I wouldn't use PBW or this combination on aluminium pots or copper. Stainless, most hard plastics are fine.

Metasilicate is less toxic/corrosive than caustic soda but i wouldn't call it biodegradeable, just not highly toxic once it has been mixed up.

I wouldn't stick my hands in made up solutions of PBW or this unless you are trying to speed up natural selection.

2: 20kg - fraser_john (split Mr_Tyreman, HoppinMad, Nigel)
6. 5 kg - manticle
8. 5kg - Golani51

Running total = 60kg

3:
6. 5 kg - manticle
8. 5kg - Golani51

Running total = 55kg

Sorry guys i'll just stick to my percarb.

3:
5:
6. 5 kg - manticle
8. 5kg - Golani51
Sorry I'm going to pull out as well.
Cheers Mario

3:
5:
8. 5kg - Golani51

Me too. Percarb does a brilliant job and knowing I can tip it straight on the garden etc, keeps it no fuss.

Thanks for your answers Dr S. I wouldn't stick my hand in the sodium percarb solution either but then I do I use it with boiling water.

Cheers Yob

Running total 45 kg

3:
5:
8. 5kg - Golani51
9. 5kg - Stubbie

I'm in.
Running total = 50kg

3: 5kg - WarmBeer
4: 10 kg Beerdrinkingbob (split with Fergthebrewer)
5: 5kg - Golani51
6. 5kg - Stubbie

Running total = 50kg

3: 5kg - WarmBeer
4: 10 kg Beerdrinkingbob (split with Fergthebrewer)
5: 5kg - Golani51
6. 5kg - Stubbie

Running total = 50kg

So it is not safe to put my hand in to scrub out fermenters?
Is it more trouble than it is worth? I may have to reconsider.

As i understand it (from the bn podcast, will try and dig it up) PBW was designed for use with copper, yes its corrosive and it turned my solution light blue last time i used it in my coil, from memory, it was designed to be 'less' corrosive than other products of the time.

I dont stick my arm in the solution simply coz i dont need to, its CIP not scrub in place.

Always rinsing the equipment is a given, but i also did that with the perc as well..

This isnt meant to be for day to day use, just when build up gets to the point that its either a whole lot of elbow load or a CIP solution. I will probably be happy with a home made PBW rinse through the coil once every 4 runs or whenever i 'feel the need'

@lecterfan, will keep you in mind mate.

Yob

Latest posts

Back