EOI - 2014 - Inaugural Annual Brewathon (Melbourne)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They did one at the MB warehouse if I recall correctly, speak to Pete about it (or other com. Members)

If I have my memories correct the BM. brewer left a little passed off with most of his wort dripping from the roof ;)

Have done monster brews at Melb Brewers a few times - usually in lead up to annual dinner. Power can be an issues, but generally a good mix between gas and electric breweries.

And yes Yob, the BM brewer did leave a little dismayed!!

So what is the verdict? Do we think this is a good idea? Would people be interested?

Some poor ******* is going to have a horrendous electricity bill that month!

Isn't this basically what we're doing in July for the case-swap anyway?

MartinOC said:
Some poor ******* is going to have a horrendous electricity bill that month!

Isn't this basically what we're doing in July for the case-swap anyway?
Haha, too true Martin.

More or less it is the same, however rather than one big batch, it would be multiple batches of different beers. Maybe even work our way through the different BJCP/AABC styles or something like that.

For example could do a Pale Ale, Weizen, Pilsner, Oktoberfest, Porter, Brown Ale, all on the same day. People would be charged with fermenting and bottling a particular batch (of the various ones brewed on the day) at home and then bringing it back, so that we can all share the different varieties of beers that were produced on the day. We would do a swap based on the different beers that were produced on the day, in contrast to everyone taking home a cube of the same beer (which is still great and what we will be doing in July).

OK, I have a somewhat different proposal:

System-Wars (a most popular forum at the ANHC's).

Choose (f'rinstance) 5 or 6 brewers (volunteers..) around Melb., who reckon they can knock-out multiple brews in a single day.

Stipulate the styles to be brewed & each BM gets to choose the styles they brew & the order they do it in.

Folks from different areas attend the brew-day closest to them & act as adjudicators to make sure the "rules" are adhered-to, take photo's as proof etc...

Each "group" act as a team & ferment the resulting beers for future swapping & evaluation.

The MB plans & produces as many different beers as they can in a single day (start/finish timeframes to be stipulated in the rules) with their system.

Minimum 20L batch-size. At least one batch has to be in the fermenter by end-of-play (ie. no restrictions on cubing).

I haven't thought this through in detail, but it might make for a fun day for folks that can't travel too far for one single mega-session.

Wow Martin, I thought my idea was a logistical nightmare. You have taken it to the next level. Brewathon + System Wars, multiple recipes, multiple locations.

I wouldn't say no, but are you going to be organising this juggernaut? :)

It could be worth piloting a one/two system single location all day brew day first. Then upgrade to 5-6 locations, but that's just my conservative side coming out haha.

Latest posts

Back