Enough Yeast For 60l Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SG9090

Reaction score
:icon_chickcheers:

I usually brew single batches, however just now time is hard to find and need to brew a larger batch. I want to brew a 60L batch. I will be using a fresh Wyeast 1968, and was wondering would it be ok to use the single pack or will i have to grow it up a bit? If so any recomended methods?

Any general guidence would be great,

Cheers,
Shane

grow, a single pack (theoretically) is not big enough for 20 ltrs, do a search for pitching rates.

You should still get beer if you pitch only one pack, but you will be under-pitching which can often have unwanted side-effects.
For the best results, use the MrMalty calculator, plug the details of your brew, let it work out how much yeast you need and then make an appropriate sized stater.

Why not try double dropping? Do you no chill?

Assuming you do cube your hot wort prior to pitching, double dropping is a good way to make the yeast go a little further.

Last double batch I did I implemented the following process;
- Smacked a smack pack tillmit was nice and swollen
- Pitched this into 1 half of the double batch -20L
- After 24 hrs I noted signs of fermentation starting
- I then poured the contents of that fermenter into 2 others fermenters ensuring lots of aeration and splashing (just opened the tap and let it fall into the awaiting vessels)
- I then topped up each fermenter with the second half of the double batch
- Fermentation was off and running in about 12 hours

I've ended up with 80% efficiency and a nice clean beer, whilst only using 1 pack for 40L

Depending on the gravity, and the health of the yeast, but you'd need to make something like a 6L starter for a batch that big

:icon_chickcheers:

I usually brew single batches, however just now time is hard to find and need to brew a larger batch. I want to brew a 60L batch. I will be using a fresh Wyeast 1968, and was wondering would it be ok to use the single pack or will i have to grow it up a bit? If so any recomended methods?

Any general guidence would be great,

Cheers,
Shane

I pack is generally enough for about 20 L of 1040-1050. If you are making 3 times that, you need 3 times the yeast. 3 packs or grow from the one. If you are no-chilling then Argon's suggestion is probably the easiest. Alternatively start fermentation with 20 L and add wort as fermentation progresses. I forget the name of this method but I believe it's common among German brewers. Zwickel has mentioned it a few times from memory. I have also heard of a trappist brewery using a similar method.

Latest posts

Back