Enigma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, looks like I forgot to report back.

I ended up making a single hop APA with Enigma, and was thoroughly impressed. I mentioned before that it sounded vaguely like mosaic, but it doesn't really. It does however work equally well as a single hop.

I found that the beer seemed to change character every time I had a glass, but not in a bad way. Sometimes I got apricot, sometimes light tropical fruit. But different every time. It also has a wonderful spicy lingering aftertaste, reminiscent of its tettnang heritage. It's certainly a very tasty hop, and one I'll be experimenting with when I can get my hands on some more. I've also tried another brewer's Aussie Pale Ale with lots of late galaxy and enigma, and it was to die for.

Drinking a pint of Two Birds Hop Harvest at the Flat Rock Cafe in Narumburn. It's apparently brewed with wet Enigma hops. Great depth of hop flavour, grapefruit and pineapple is what I get,and hints of stonefruit. It's on a light malt base. For a supposed 50 IBU it has a remarkably soft finish. I'd prefer a more bitey bitterness, bit it's still a lovely ale.

Damnit, now I need to buy some. Brewman has none.. no more Hop Dealz.. where do I find my dealz?

Bump - Brewman came to the party and I now have a kilo of the stuff to play with.

Anyone else brewing with the 2017 crop as well? I'm pondering whirlpool/dry hop quantities given the feedback above about "less being more" that's not a phrase typically muttered in my brewery.

Received mine from Brewman too. 450g of Engima, and some other extras (thank you Steve!).

Attempting a NEIPA by reusing WLP013 (London Ale yeast). Looking for that kickarse grapefruit/tropical fruit type thing it's promising.

Sweet dash-mounted Jesus, Enigma makes a great single-hop ale. I'm glad I got myself a kilo.

Also got nearly a kilo from Brewman which I'm looking forward to using. I've had a couple of tins of the Moo Brew Enigma single hop recently, I reckon this would make a great "base" hop to layer a bit of complexity over. After tasting the Moo Brew I think Enigma is making a reasonable contribution to the hop profile of the Oskar Blues IPA which I'm a big fan of (it's listed as an ingredient). My plan for my next brew is to split a 24L batch into four with different cube hops - Enigma, Galaxy, Vic Secret and Topaz - and put them into 6L kegs so that I can get the single-hop contributions and also try to mix up a blend off the taps into the glass.

I'm finding that dry and keg hopping with Enigma throws a nice back of the throat bittering with maybe a spicey melon smell then a hint of earthiness at times.
My tastes are old school but the more of this hop I use the quicker the kegs blow.

Latest posts

Back