Enhanced Biab With Lauter Tun Stage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also I may test mash outs in both scenarios too.

In scenario one you could hoist the pail and then ramp up to mash out temps, then dunk it back down again and stir it before finally hoisting and doing the final drain.

With the pump you can just recirculate to mash out temps while the pail is sort of half-raised.

I am convinced that the bucket method will prove to be a real winner, offering so many variables coupled with the pump and STC 1000 I find step mashing and temperature control very good.
If interest on this method continues I will post some pictures of the components that I have made, I try where possible to use utility or proprietory items and modify them to suit.
Hoping that Michael doesn't feel that I am gatecrashing his method.

I still don't see the reason to go to all the "trouble" to re-invent something that has been around forever.

Fill urn with liquor/grain at desired L/G ratio/ Mash, controlling temps with element.

Drain urn into bucket, sparge if you wish with kettle water (yes kitchen kettle)

Empty spent grain from urn. Return sweet wort to urn. Boil

How friggin simple can it be.

Only uses one pot!! (the urn and a plastic bucket) and a piece of stainless mesh cut to fit above the element.

cheers

the_new_darren

Presentation1.jpg

darren, I know you're old so it's probably a waste of time trying to teach you anything, however surely you understand by now that no one has any respect for you or your opinions?

I would have to say that mark's idea is a lot more simpler than yours, darren

The circular development path is fun ;)

Was't BIAB originally developed after playing with bucket-in-a-bucket brewing?

The circular development path is fun ;)

Was't BIAB originally developed after playing with bucket-in-a-bucket brewing?

I believe it was, someone pointed that out not long ago.

I love the concept of BIAB however I absolutely can not stand the actual bag part of it. It's just messy, and without a sky hook is really annoying. I figure a rigid grain holder should be easier to hoist and hold than a bag is.

I still don't see the reason to go to all the "trouble" to re-invent something that has been around forever.
Fill urn with liquor/grain at desired L/G ratio/ Mash, controlling temps with element.
Drain urn into bucket, sparge if you wish with kettle water (yes kitchen kettle)
Only uses one pot!! (the urn and a plastic bucket) and a piece of stainless mesh cut to fit above the element.
Brilliant idea, all you need now is to replace the bucket with some kind of a bag and you might be on to something.

Brilliant idea, all you need now is to replace the bucket with some kind of a bag and you might be on to something.

What is the bag for? You will have crystal clear wort in the bucket!!!

EDIT: Circular argument where it started:

Perhaps you meant one of these?

30879.jpg

Great work Bribie, always fun to follow your threads. Looking at your set up the only thing that worries me is the amount of vessels you need to clean, that has to be the worst part of brewing.

I would be interested to find out what full volume BIAB with bucket in the urn with recirculation fermenter efficiency comes out though, keeps more to traditional line of the idea.

Cheers

BDB

Great work Bribie, always fun to follow your threads. Looking at your set up the only thing that worries me is the amount of vessels you need to clean, that has to be the worst part of brewing.

I would be interested to find out what full volume BIAB with bucket in the urn with recirculation fermenter efficiency comes out though, keeps more to traditional line of the idea.

Cheers

BDB

I am also wondering why Briber crossed the line of simplicity of BIAB to what is a far more complicated (requiring more vessels for clean-up) without a superior product. In fact Mark_the_bastard and Briber have made a very simple process more complicated.

cheers

the_new_darren

Who cares? Maybe he had fun doing it?

Buying beer would be much simpler than messing around with my 50 L esky with hand cut copper pipe manifold, 40 L aluminium pot and 50 L angle ground, legally acquired keggle but **** it. I have fun. It's a great part of most weekends that I look forward to.

So should you mate. Let other people have theirs.

I am also wondering why Briber crossed the line of simplicity of BIAB to what is a far more complicated (requiring more vessels for clean-up) without a superior product. In fact Mark_the_bastard and Briber have made a very simple process more complicated.

cheers

the_new_darren

My momma always told me "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". I'm sure she'd feel the same way for typing on a forum as well.

So what if they are? My 2 pot method is more labour intensive. But by sharing the knowledge, why not allow everyone to help each other.

That's the point of these forums, isn't it? Knowledge accumulation and dissemination. Sometimes you need some stuff you find irrelevant, in order to acquire something that is.

Goomba

Don't respond to the retard guys. This is a good thread and some old impotent codger from SA shouldn't ruin that.

Don't respond to the retard guys. This is a good thread and some old impotent codger from SA shouldn't ruin that.
Hear hear M^B this thread is a cracker. Go one better though- its an excellent opportunity to apply some handy troll de-oxygenator across the boards: Click on My Controls, lower LHS has "Manage Ignored Users", then the lower section of that has "Add a new user to your list", enter (for example) "the_new_darren" or "RdeVjun" and click Update Ignored Users. Happy days! B)

cheers

the_new_darren

I'm going to try something similar for my 2nd BIAB AG this weekend. I have a rather hefty perf stainless steel false bottom in my electric kettle, but it's hexagonal because I couldn't nick a piece big enough from the scrap bin. I'll still need the bag, but I'm hoping I can just leave the bag in place while I drain the sweet wort, then sparge through with some reserved water, tie up the bag, then place something heavy on top. I haven't got the headspace to hoist the bag under the range hood, and don't want to slide it across the bench to lift it, because I'll get killed by the missus. Last time I had to dig out 6.5 kilos of wet grain with a slotted spoon and do a series of mini sparge/squeezes in some hastily cut swiss voille! It mustve worked ok, because I got 83% efficiency!

Hear hear M^B this thread is a cracker. Go one better though- its an excellent opportunity to apply some handy troll de-oxygenator across the boards: Click on My Controls, lower LHS has "Manage Ignored Users", then the lower section of that has "Add a new user to your list", enter (for example) "the_new_darren" or "RdeVjun" and click Update Ignored Users. Happy days! B)

tut tut how could I ever ignore you Ralph

I'm going to try something similar for my 2nd BIAB AG this weekend. I have a rather hefty perf stainless steel false bottom in my electric kettle, but it's hexagonal because I couldn't nick a piece big enough from the scrap bin. I'll still need the bag, but I'm hoping I can just leave the bag in place while I drain the sweet wort, then sparge through with some reserved water, tie up the bag, then place something heavy on top. I haven't got the headspace to hoist the bag under the range hood, and don't want to slide it across the bench to lift it, because I'll get killed by the missus. Last time I had to dig out 6.5 kilos of wet grain with a slotted spoon and do a series of mini sparge/squeezes in some hastily cut swiss voille! It mustve worked ok, because I got 83% efficiency!

What diameter is your electric kettle and how much headspace do you have?

A weight/press system is very practical, works for me,

wortpress5Large.jpg

and could be adapted to a kettle but it depends on diameter and headspace, and how much weight the false bottom could take without damage.

What diameter is your electric kettle and how much headspace do you have?

A weight/press system is very practical, works for me,

wortpress5Large.jpg

and could be adapted to a kettle but it depends on diameter and headspace, and how much weight the false bottom could take without damage.

The Kettle is 355mm diameter and I have about a foot of headspace on the stove. It'll be light enough to move the whole thing over to the bench when it's drained of wort, so once that's done the headspace is unlimited (well, up to the ceiling anyway). The false bottom is a piece of 1.5mm perf S/S plate supported on 8 1/2" x 3" rods. It's as solid as hell. I was intending to sit a 10 litre bucket full of water on top of the bag while I sort my hops out, remove the bag, move the kettle back under the rangehood, pour the wort back in and commence the boil as normal. Sounds like a bit of a stuff around, but it's going to be easier than what I did last time!

cheers

the_new_darren

Not sure what angle your working there Darren but don't drag me into it....

Bribie how much efficiency do you think you would drop by using the malt pipe/ bucket instead of the trusty bag in the mash, the method would make rinsing/sparging really easy, plus step mashing etc.

Latest posts

Back