English Pale Ale - A Beer Style In Aabc But Not Bjcp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Hi all, perhaps someone could explain why English Pale Ale is a style in AABC (6.6) but in BJCP it seems to fall under the banner of an ESB and is not a separate style??

EDIT - Timothy Taylors Landlord is a commercial example in both the English Pale Ale and the Special/ Best bitter??? Hmmmm

Cheers

There are a couple of mismatches around the place, for example American Amber Ale which appears to have disappeared from this girt land. A BJCP guru - e.g. Fourstar - would probably know.

Hi all, perhaps someone could explain why English Pale Ale is a style in AABC (6.6) but in BJCP it seems to fall under the banner of an ESB and is not a separate style??

EDIT - Timothy Taylors Landlord is a commercial example in both the English Pale Ale and the Special/ Best bitter??? Hmmmm

Cheers
Good question ...View attachment AABA_BJCP_Style_Guidelines___EPA___Bitter.pdf A good read :icon_cheers: Credit to Tony Wheeler ,Melbourne Brewers

Yeah, it makes me wonder. Its a fascinating read that toper1, where's it from?
FWIW, I entered two very similar English pales in different categories in a state comp and they were both awarded precisely the same score! :blink: They were a pair selected out of a run of about half a dozen TTL- style Special/ ESBs and they were basically the same recipe, to the judges credit though on one the remarks did say 'nice beer- wrong category', if they both had said that I probably would've thrown myself off a bridge! :D

Historically Bitter and Pale Ale are the same beer style. Beers that were packaged in cask were known as Bitter, while the bottled versions were caled Pale Ale. I saw a great historical beer seminar by Garrett Oliver a few years ago. The advent of 'beer styles' and marketing has muddied the waters some what.

Really interesting reading those PDFs, so if i comprehend it right the EPA was originally just an slightly toned down IPA.
Which was traditionally all pale ale malt.

Bitters came about only after crystal malts came on the scene, allowing for some diversity between the pale beers and the stock darker ales of the time.

thanks for the history lesson

Discrepancies like that goes back years ago when a bunch of plonkers from Melb thought that recreating the wheel was a good idea. Justified their existence, after all, what would a bunch of Americans know about making beer and beer styles. Sadly some of those plonkers are still around.

I've got a beer in hand, so I dare remember about the controversy a Classic American Pilsner and Kolsch made ... ohh the humanity!

Scotty

Latest posts

Back