Elements Help Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bewdy ta - although sourcing an empty 40kg pool bucket is proving harder than first thought

Plastic man well I see the errors of my ways I just used the element only mounted in the barrel with the silicion gasket with a one way juction box mounted on the out side so what did you mount that black plastic thingy in

sintax

roach, thats weird, the place i went to had bloody hundreds of all different sizes, i asked about getting more and he showed me what looks like a graveyard of them. :)

plastic man, would be good to see what you did with your element. i got mine mounted on the outside (waiting for a cover to stop it going bang and killing me). i tried it last night and it took about 20 minutes to get 10L or so to a good boil. might need to mount the 2nd element or use my old immersion stick.

pictures of the bucket of doom! :lol:

kettle1.jpg

kettle2.jpg

I'll post a pic tonight.

I just let the element sit without any cover on it. Probably not the safest thing to do - but once the cord is plugged in it's not too bad - and I've installed it so it faces the wall.

I was thinking of hacksawing off the "protrusion" that sticks up to make the element nice and round, (I think this is just for the steam switch anyway) and then get a PVC end cap that fits the element. Cut a bit out of the end of this for the plug to go in and then stick this onto the element with some silicon so it can be pulled off again if neccessary. Could also drill a small hole in this and poke the little indicator light out a bit so you can see when element is on.

Another way to attach a PVC end cap would be to cut a few slots in it long ways, and then use a hose clamp to clamp the cap around the element. The gaps / slots will allow soem give so the cap closes around the element. I think if you look at Ken Shwartz design for his plastic brewer on teh HBD web site - he does soemthing like this to cover the ends of his hot water elements.

Maybe keeping it nice and open and dangerous looking isn't a bad idea. Reminds you everytime you look at it that you are doing something a bit shonky and to be bloody careful.!!!

Bonk

Looks good

I'm going to suss out teh pool shop on teh weekend. Using a 30l cube was a bit of a compromise becuase I couldn't find a container bigger than 25l. Your one looks great.

cheers.

geez plastic your licenced to kill do you have at least earth leakage on the circuit aint you worried about a boil over going on to the contacts
a well I went to Big W today bloodly belle gone up to $19.95 geez guest they have to cover there public liabilaty some how

sintax

I don't ususally post on gear threads. . .but are you proposing to boil wort in the plastic kettle? In that case I bet hops will get in between the coils of the element and scorch!

Jovial Monk

Plenty of people seem to be using these elements with out problems JM. Although I do have to agree, the more open ones would be better but they are a bit harder to find.

JD

Or cover the element in some sort of sheath? Perhaps made from Termimesh.

JM

Jovial_Monk said:
are you proposing to boil wort in the plastic kettle? In that case I bet hops will get in between the coils of the element and scorch!
Bollocks!

Why postulate what might happen with no direct experience.

I use an immersion electric element for my boiler. It has many more coils than the Belle kettle element. Never have I had a problem with hops getting caught in the coils let alone having hops scorch. This is not just my experience, but the experience of many others who use similar elements.

Just think about it for a minute. You put the element near the bottom of the kettle. When was the last time you had hops at the bottom of your kettle DURING the boil. My hops float around near the top due to the nice rolling boil.

Even if there was a chance that the hops might get caught, you could simply solve it by only using pellets. Those suckers are so mashed up into tiny pieces they wouldnt stand a chance of getting caught.

Cheers
MAH

Sintax

Bloody Big W. I looked at them only a week ago and they were still $9.83 (or something like this) with a big sign saying "Everyday Price". A 100% price increase is a bit rich. Maybe as you suggested they are putting some of the profits away to fight potential liability cases from crazy home brewers.........However - Coles are currently selling basically the same kettle for about $12. It is only 1800W though so you may need to wack in two. But 1800W is probably better for the kettle as it is less wattage per area than the 2200W ones - which from some info posted on the web - may scorch the wort????? I havn't brewed with it yet so who knows. When I get my act together in the next week or two I'll let you know. K-Mart also seem to sell a 2200W one for about $13. I think the elements are all the same. The element supplier actually has a great web site. They talk about the global trade in counterfiet elements. The mind boggles....

I bought one of those plug in "body guard" extension cords for mine (earth leakage protection) plus I think the house I'm renting has it also. I'm also pretty careful and turn it off at the power before touching anything. But I agree. We are doing something a bit shonky so beware. (usual disclaimer applies re water and electricity. If your not sure what your doing don't -or don't come winging if something untowards happens...blah blah)

I posted some pics tonite in the gallery. Tried last night but couldn't work out how to do it. Had more luck tonight - though I have albums inbedded in albums which I couldn't work out - so apologies if navigation is a bit trickky.

Go the plastic boys - we'll give the SS brigade a run for their money, (though I'm secretly jealous of all those shiney pics on the gallery)

Top snaps there plastic from what i see now the gaskets are diffent from my leakey element mine was just a bushing going round the hole yours seems to be a lot bigger so there must be a few styles well I will just have to keep my eyes open for more elements

sintax

Latest posts

Back