Electric Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sluggerdog said:
Thanks WG...

$50, with the kettle costs I would have nearly been better off going the immersion heater way. What are these things worth? Would have a keg which could be used as a boiler later as it wouldn't have the holes... hmm

Cheers
[post="88046"][/post]​

Slugger, I bought an over the side immersion heater for my 50lt HLT because I thought it would be too much trouble to drill out the tank for the kettle element. I am now going to install the kettle element and use the immersion heater fo step mashes or giving my mash a boost.
The problem with the over the side job is they are not long enough <_< , the lowest I can get it in my HLT is about 1/2-3/4 of the way down which means I constantly have to stir to get the heat to the bottom of the tank.
I think you will be much happier with the built in one :) .

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
sluggerdog said:
Thanks WG...

$50, with the kettle costs I would have nearly been better off going the immersion heater way. What are these things worth? Would have a keg which could be used as a boiler later as it wouldn't have the holes... hmm

Cheers
[post="88046"][/post]​

Slugger, I bought an over the side immersion heater for my 50lt HLT because I thought it would be too much trouble to drill out the tank for the kettle element. I am now going to install the kettle element and use the immersion heater fo step mashes or giving my mash a boost.
The problem with the over the side job is they are not long enough <_< , the lowest I can get it in my HLT is about 1/2-3/4 of the way down which means I constantly have to stir to get the heat to the bottom of the tank.
I think you will be much happier with the built in one :) .

Cheers
Andrew
[post="88054"][/post]​

5 mins too late. Just ordered the tobins heater. Thansk anyway. Will see how things go for the first run and if it's no good will do as you have.

It will always come in handy if I don't use it for my HLT.

Cheers :)

You wont regret having the hand held immersion heater Slugger.

1. They can be used to adjust the temp of your dough in water after you've transferred it to your mash tun. My dough in water is always a few degrees low after tranfering, the heater makes it easy to get the temp spot on.

2. If you temps drop over the course of the mash you can bump it back up. Just keep the element moving.

3. You can step mash with it. Keep stirring as above.

4. You can throw it in the HLT to speed heating if you only have a low wattage element mounted in the tank.

5. You can throw it in the boil kettle to help get to the boil quicker, even if using gas. If you run out of gas you can then use the element to boil with as a back up. Or if it gets really windy ;)

6. You can brand you cat with it :p. No really don't turn it on outside of liquid or accidentally pull it out of the liquid or poof-end of element.

You won't regret it. A very handy tool. I finally got my own one off ebay a fortnight ago for $20. Now I don't have to lend anymore.

Cheers, Justin

Cheers Justin, bummer I cannot use it on the neighbours cat. Would stop it shitting on our lawn.. ha ha

Will have to look into step mashing, sounds like something new to try.

Just wondering with the hand held immersion heater, does this make a noise at all while it is on or will you know when it's working by the water warming up? Got the tobins one this morning...

No noise until it starts boiler, or at least getting close to boiling.

Cheers
Andrew

It is basically silent initially but does generate a gentle rumble/vibration kind of noise as things heat up. The noise tends to change with increasing temp too. You can see the heat waving off the element and bubbles on the end. If your HLT is high you may have to rely mostly on the temp as your indicator.

Fire her up in a bucket with 5L and you'll see.

Cheers, JD

Thanks Guys, I have it all rigged up on the new thermostat I built today with a timer to get cranking at 5 am tomorrow... Can't be buggered for today.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

It's going to be bliss mate. Walk out to the brewery, dough in then go back in and have breakfast. Lovely jubbly.

You'll enjoy the new toy, I'd rate it as THE most handy bit of gear I have.

Cheers, JD

Justin said:
You wont regret having the hand held immersion heater Slugger.

1. They can be used to adjust the temp of your dough in water after you've transferred it to your mash tun. My dough in water is always a few degrees low after tranfering, the heater makes it easy to get the temp spot on.

2. If you temps drop over the course of the mash you can bump it back up. Just keep the element moving.

3. You can step mash with it. Keep stirring as above.

4. You can throw it in the HLT to speed heating if you only have a low wattage element mounted in the tank.

5. You can throw it in the boil kettle to help get to the boil quicker, even if using gas. If you run out of gas you can then use the element to boil with as a back up. Or if it gets really windy ;)

6. You can brand you cat with it :p. No really don't turn it on outside of liquid or accidentally pull it out of the liquid or poof-end of element.

You won't regret it. A very handy tool. I finally got my own one off ebay a fortnight ago for $20. Now I don't have to lend anymore.

Cheers, Justin
[post="88063"][/post]​

Thanks, I have a hand held, all good ideas. :D step mashing :) I learn a lot on this site.

Wally, first things first. Go get a SS tank socket or reducing bush to fit to your HLT then order the element from you local electrical wholesaler, Laurence & Hanson, GEC, Haymans or Ideal Electrical in the thread to suit. SS tank sockets and bushes can be hard to source so find it first.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back