Electric 70l Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lukasfab,

I am almost finished my single vessel rig with the 4 elements. I chose to use 4 as I could wire them for 3.6kW, 4 times the surface area-each element dissipates about 900w. Sure, I had to buy 4, but at $16 bucks each that is still cheaper than most other options.

View attachment 58303

Ignore the temp sensor and pump inlet in the centre.

How does your whirlpool end up looking with that amount of stuff on the floor of your kettle?

the last one looks like it would work

The first ones are similar to the last but easier to install in your case. The supplied heatsinks make mounting harder but just replace them with something like this or this. Then you just need a potentiometer connected to adjust your heat output.

Alfie

i think i wont to try and stick with one kickass element with some sort of controller to adjust level of boil if possible to do this?
no one has done this before with double batches???

big nath, you mentioned that the electrical place you went to suggested some sort of controller??

surely i can acheive this on a 20amp dedicated cicuit??

The solid state voltage reg if used with fixed resistance will reduce the power/wattage of an element. however the circuit should then be used with a circuit breaker suited to the circuit ampere rating. So in the event of the SSR allowing full voltage to pass the CB will trip protecting the circuit. The best way is to run the element on a circuit rated for its full current. Then if the SSR malfunctions (I have had it happen) there is no circuit problems only burnt wurt.

The solid state voltage reg if used with fixed resistance will reduce the power/wattage of an element. however the circuit should then be used with a circuit breaker suited to the circuit ampere rating. So in the event of the SSR allowing full voltage to pass the CB will trip protecting the circuit. The best way is to run the element on a circuit rated for its full current. Then if the SSR malfunctions (I have had it happen) there is no circuit problems only burnt wurt.

I think he is suggesting running a single element on a suitable 20A dedicated circuit but just wants to be able to adjust to stop boiling over etc. You could also have a high/low (ramp/boil) switch or a fixed/variable switch with this type of setup.

Alfie

I went to some trouble to explain this as it wouldn't make sense to most non-electrical people. In this configuration they give me only 3.6kW but 4 times the surface area of a single element. I could have used one of these elements for the same power output but less surface area.

Alfie is right, the higher number of elements results in a reduced surface loading meaning lower chance or scorching, however I have never found that to be a problem.

I run a 75 liter kettle with one 2400W convoluted element ( ie a U shaped element bent back on itself to half it's length), and. 2200w rod style element, and get a super vigorous boil on double batches with no problem at all (in fact once it's at temp I will often turn off the second element).

As far as placement goes, I have mine directed towards each other from opposite sides of the kettle at more or less the same depth. I would definitely avoid the cross over configuration, and would probably opt for one stacked on top of the other if I rebuilt my kettle just so I can get my immersion chiller down deeper into the kettle ( with some clever chiller geometry).

Andy

Yeah, those 5 star elements are the business.

I have two of them in a 70L pot. Definitely enough juice. I just use an extension cord to run one off a different circuit in the house. Haven't tripped the power once that way.

Got a second vessel now, so this gets used as a HLT/MLT (unless can't be bothered and just want to do BIAB). Whirlpool wasn't the best with the elements and the pick up tube sticking way out like that.

Can't fault the elements though. Scorched them really bad one brew, not sure why, I'm assuming operator error. Took a lot of effort to clean them, but they're still working fine now.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411907637.978197.jpg

The ends of those elements do touch due to a slight miscalculation when installing haha, but about the last cm isn't active, so it's not an issue.

I also have 2 x 5 Star in a 70 litre pot! They are awesome. I bought my pot about a year ago and it had Keg King elements that did the exploding trick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t6Qs8dFf1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl7tVSU5mIs

Latest posts

Back