Egyptian Seasonal Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
**I thought camel spit would be more appropriate**

I saw the camel spit. I thought it was being used in the ferment. Does this mean there will be no sparge?
A group of say 10 brewers standing around spitting into the mash every 10 mins would certainly increase the extract efficiency.

The Goats urine just alters the PH of the ferment. The french used to do this with their champagne, they don't do it any more apparently but the thing is, it still tastes the same.

Chiller... be carefull of the dates, they need to be pitted and the best ones are Dec 17th and July 6th.

I like the hole in the ground idea monk. I must admit that many of us spend our brewing lives with our head in one. I'm in.

Love the humor chiller keep it rolling.

Regards
Dave

Humour ?!?
Too right. There is no humour is this. Collecting the semen from a randy bull camel is not a pleasent experience.
I was wondering about the dates. There are the common supermarket dry pitless things or the small succulent types found in Bankstown Persian shops or the large and equally succulent (organic sometimes) Californian dates?

Be careful with the Californian dates.
The ones from around San Francisco are especially fruity.

the san franciscans are careful about the imported Sahara dates - they reckon there is nothing worse than a dry date

I did promise not to post on this topic any further but in the interest of hysterical inaccuracy I need to clear up a point or two.

You do need a sticky date to be successful with this recipe but avoid the bay area one for fear of a bum steer.

For this recipe it is probably best only one brewer attempt to collect camel semen. I don't recall the recipe needing any but if you feel the need to collect some then TALK TO SOMEONE !!!!

Goliath many brewers do bury themselves in a hole or dig one then bury themselves in it and then call it a dungeon.

I can see that I will have to brew this puppy and see what transpires. I the interest of brewing development. Any takers? Minus the semen, urine and dry dates.

Could be a brewday in the near future.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

I must admit I was / would be interested to see what it would turn out like. I have a nutrition information panel for dried dates in front of me that says they're about 10% fibre. It's a pity it doesn't specify whether the fibre is soluble or insoluble as that might be an important factor. Protein shouldn't be a biggie as there's only around 2%. The remainder is around two thirds sugar and one percent worth of longer chain carbohydrate.

I figure the dates (unsulphured) will supply most of the yeast. Spit is not needed, the Sumerians let alone the Eqyptians made small amounts of malted grain. I think there were something like 7 types of Egyptian beer.

One type, zythos, was exported to be used to soften ivory for carving, if you can keep above that grade the beer will be drinkable

JM

Back