Efficiency frustration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MHB said:
Frankly what you are doing isn't working, I would expect better than the sub 50% you are getting, mashing in a bucket wrapped in a towel.
Try going back to basics, a sensible amount of properly cracked grain and a practical L:G will go a long way toward fixing what is wrong.
Turn off the burner and just do a basic brew then introduce 1 change at a time until you identify the problem.
M
What he said.

You'll get there. Also remember Beersmith is a tool not a guru. I'd suggest a basic brew next time, higher grain to water ratio, measuring gravity with a hydrometer as well as the refractometer (never understood why you'd measure something obliquely when you can do it directly). You're still brewing beer

jibba02 said:
for argument sake. If i were mashing at too high temp, say 80 degrees. Would i still get full conversion? All be it unfermentable sugars?
Do a starch test if you really wanted to know.. Remember its a double edge sword. Increase temperature accelerates reaction rates, unfortunately your enzyme stability at this temperature encroaches the same range where it's also denatured. So you will simultaneously accelerated conversion and denaturation. I can't answer which one occurs first. But considering we mash 10C below mash-out temp, this probably answers your question.

I dont know if this is an option for you but I'd be tempted to do a batch using BIAB and the full mash volume (greatly increasing your liquor to grist ratio) and seeing if that spikes your efficiency, all you'd need is a bag and less vessels :p

Nizmoose said:
I dont know if this is an option for you but I'd be tempted to do a batch using BIAB and the full mash volume (greatly increasing your liquor to grist ratio) and seeing if that spikes your efficiency, all you'd need is a bag and less vessels :p
Great idea. Hopefully get a chance to test on the weekend :)

First of all, thanks everyone for your input. Ive taken on board everything and now back to basics.

So tonight i conducted a little test as follows.

I made up a mash of JW pale malt with a ratio of 3:1 0.5kg malt, 1.5l water
I used my small Esky / Lunchbox to mash in.

I added boiling water to the esky to warm it up then tipped it out and added 1.5l of strike water @ 70 Degrees
I then added 0.5kg of milled grain. After milling the grain i could not find any whole grains, and husks were in good shape, not shredded to pieces .
The results were as follows.

0min @ 67 Degrees
30min 1.053 @ 66 Degrees
42min 1.057 @ 63.5 Degrees
55min 1.060 @ 63 Degrees
60min 1.060 @ 62 Degrees

After each gravity reading i vigorously stirred the mash.

From what i have read i am still well under first wort SG of 1.085 for a L-G ratio of 3:1

Soooo. I then added the mash back onto the stove top and heated the mash back upto 68 Degrees (not in the esky ;)

I then transferred back to esky and let steep for another 60 min without touching.

After a total of 120min mash time the final gravity was 1.068. Still a little low i think?

Please let me know what you think?

All gravity readings were with a Refractometer. I have just taken a gravity reading with a Hydrometer and it come to 1.066

What did you use to measure the s.g.?

Edit: beat me to it. What temp was the hydrometer reading taken at?

Barge said:
What did you use to measure the s.g.?

Edit: beat me to it. What temp was the hydrometer reading taken at?
was @35.5 degrees so with beersmith calculator comes to 1.070

My guess at this stage would be pH. You could repeat the experiment tonight but include an acid rest. Not sure what the best temp would be as I've never done one. Something around 40C sounds about right. Then increase temp to sacc rest, mashout, etc.

Barge said:
My guess at this stage would be pH. You could repeat the experiment tonight but include an acid rest. Not sure what the best temp would be as I've never done one. Something around 40C sounds about right. Then increase temp to sacc rest, mashout, etc.
Cheers. Do you think water treatment would give me an extra 15+ gravity points?

Ill be picking up some Weyermann pale malt on the weekend. Will do the same test with that.

jibba02 said:
Cheers. Do you think water treatment would give me an extra 15+ gravity points?
No idea how much of an improvement you will get, if any. To me it just seems the most likely culprit given the info. More experienced brewers than myself may have a better idea. If you are going to pick up some grain though you should probably consider some pH stabiliser such as
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2538

Might be easier and will definitely take the pH variable out of play.

If I were you I would crush really fine and do a biab. I had issues with my efficiency for my first 6-7 batch's until I got milled grain from craftbrewer and my efficiency jumped 15-20 points compared with the grain I was getting from my lhbs. Before this I had tried everything to no avail and wile I know you think you crush is fine just try it really fine as with biab it doesn't matter anyway.

Thanks guys. will be getting some ph strips and water treatment. will also try very fine crush.

wrt the 5.2 stabilizer, from what I've read ( a long time ago, so maybe incorrect ) is that it works OK if your water is naturally high in carbonates, but not so well with other water profiles. I bought some once but have never used it after reading up on it. I aim for 100ppm Ca in the mash with Ca Chloride or Ca Sulphate ( gypsum), bit easier with my water , which is tank with very low tds.I measure pH with a lab type pH meter, an adjust with acid malt in the grain bill, or lactic acid.

Just out of curiosity, what malt have you been using?
Is it possible that it old and slack
Because; yes I agree your gravity should have been higher, around the 1.080+ you mentioned, I get 1.0825 just doing a quick calculation.
Where do you live maybe someone local can provide some information on your water, but I cant believe that any local water supply can be so bad as to knock 12.5-25% out of your mash efficiency (depending on which of your numbers you trust) - and still be classed as potable water under the relevant Australian standards.

Just chew on a bit of your malt, if its nice and crunchy its probably fine, if its doughie and mushy it could be the cause of your problem.
Mark

Latest posts

Back