Efficiency ain't everything . . .but

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tex083 said:
Dont add calcium carbonate - it lowers mash pH and by the table having a slightly higher pH wont be any where as bad as a low pH.
Other way round no?

Chalk raises pH (thus often suggested to counteract acidic contribution from roast grains in dark beers) and slightly too low is preferable to too high although getting it right is better again.

I agree - don't add chalk. Not very effective in raising pH unless dissolved in acid, better ways of reaching the end result exist.

This question comes up a lot and the answer for me is always the same. Work out at what stage in the process your expected efficiency is not being met so you can fix it. There are different 'effciencies'. Most important for me is understanding what my system gives so i can work with it and trust it to come close to what I expect.

Verysupple hit the nail on the head on the first page. You're doing no sparge BIAB with a 4.8L grist:liquor ratio, that's high for 3v but fairly low for BIAB (which typically runs 6+L/KG). Make sure brewmate is set for BIAB, you should be mashing into about 30-32L of water with 5.4K of grain for a 1.045-1.050 wort. (assuming no sparge).

And do a mashout. Just do it.

Latest posts

Back