Editing Beersmith Templates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zierschy

Reaction score
Hi Beersmith users,

I've just upgraded to the latest version of Beersmith.

With the previous version I used to put things to remember into the brew sheet by adding fake ingredients.

With the new version, you can edit the brew sheet template to add such things.

I copied the original brew sheet template to a new file and edited it using Word, so far so good.
When I save the new template and add the new report to Beersmith the Classic report apprears instead of my new brew sheet.
If I just copy the template to a new name and add the new template to Beersmith it works fine so I'm assuming that using word as the editor is the problem.

So cutting to the chase, does anyone know which editor is best to modify Beersmith templates?

Cheers!

P.S. I'm using Word 2007.

P.P.S. The new Word 2007 interface is :eek:

Hi Beersmith users,

With the previous version I used to put things to remember into the brew sheet by adding fake ingredients.

I copied the original brew sheet template to a new file and edited it using Word, so far so good.
When I save the new template and add the new report to Beersmith the Classic report apprears instead of my new brew sheet.
If I just copy the template to a new name and add the new template to Beersmith it works fine so I'm assuming that using word as the editor is the problem.

So cutting to the chase, does anyone know which editor is best to modify Beersmith templates?

Cheers!

Not really understanding this! I was able to edit the templates in the old beersmith and all still works for this in the new version. You have to go into Options, reports and add the template.

Screwy

In the end I edited the HTML source directly rather than using Word, this worked fine.

As a confession to my geekness, the editor I used was emacs. This is probably not the editor of choice for your average windows user.

But it could have been worse, it could have been VI!!!!

Never tried modifying the templates, but give JFE (Jens' File Editor) a try.

Hi Beersmith users,

Cheers!

Mate,

There are only two types of people that would use Word for this - the Ignorant and the Insane ! :eek:

You need a basic Text Editor not a Word Processor.

Looks like you found a good text editor (EMACS), but on a Windows system I would always recommend Notepad or Wordpad - but never Word. It will try to 'improve' your text file for you.

Dave

But it could have been worse, it could have been VI!!!!

hmm. Friday night, a couple under my belt already and this is a beer forum.

Nope, I'll be strong. This is neither the time nor the place for a vi vs emacs flamewar.

ps. vi is better and you spelt vi wrong.

Oops, sorry, didn't see your mention of emacs.

Looks like the JFE website is down, but there's also Notepad2
Both of those have syntax highlighting for html(and C/C++ etc etc)

Latest posts

Back