Increasing ABV and specific gravity reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave D

Reaction score
Hello All,
Just joined up and up to my second batch and already have so many questions to put out to the community but I will throw one out which I have been trying to research but have not seem to get a solid answer...
My current batch is a coopers pale using coopers brew enhancer 2. I am very new to brewing so I am keeping things pretty basic.
I started with a OG reading of 1.035 and two days later I have a reading of 1.013. Seems like the yeast is chewing up the sugar at a solid speed. I’m hoping not too fast. My main question is... Can I add more sugar during primary fermentation and if so, how do I mix it in? Would I disturb the brew? And how would I be able to calculate an ABV If I am already reading 1.013... would it spike up and then I would have to add the difference to the OG reading? Hopefully I have made sense there but any words from you guys would be greatly appreciated.... and forgot to mention I have been fermenting at a nice temp of 22deg. Cheers Dave

Latest posts

Back