Ecokegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrie0069

Reaction score
Hi All,

Saw a couple of threads on ecokegs posted about a year ago after a search and wondered if anyone had any luck hearing back from them? Alternatively, has anyone seen one of these at their local or know how we can get our hands on some?

The company is one of the sponsors for this conference in Hobart later this year - Ecokeg

Maybe this could be our chance to get some information on these things!

Cheers,

Morrie

:chug:

Morrie, I have also been after the same keg but given up. Will PM you if i ever find out where to get them.
Cheers 15BL :beer:

Morrie,
I have sent a couple of e-mails to them but not had any reply. Pretty poor really, they could at least acknowledge that someone is trying to correspond with them. If I eventually hear something I will let post it for all to see.

Cheers
Brad T

Hey Guys, Are we going to have trouble cooling these kegs in a fridge being plastic or it's going to have to go thru a cold plate or similar.
Cheers 15 BL

Why wouldn't it cool? My milk cartons are plastic as are my coke bottles - they all cool fine.

Re the cooling, these kegs are THICK, designed to be thrown around, can't see them tranfering heat/cold like thin wall stainless steel! The plastic will be an insulator but no doubt will cool down but how long compared to SS.

fifteenbeerslater said:
Re the cooling, these kegs are THICK, designed to be thrown around, can't see them tranfering heat/cold like thin wall stainless steel! The plastic will be an insulator but no doubt will cool down but how long compared to SS.
[post="108897"][/post]​

I guess, most people kegging, CC their brew first before transferring to keg & carbonating - In this case, the beer will already be cooled & the fridge will maintain it... :)

cheers Ross

Well maybe some life in these kegs yet - Just recieved this email reply:

Dear Ross,
As the licenced manufacturer, we are currently awaiting for despatch of a special machine from overseas.
Once it arrives and is commissioned (late next month/early July I hope), I will advise.
Thanks for your interest and we will be in touch

Roger Blake-Lane
Creative Containers Pty Ltd

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
Well maybe some life in these kegs yet - Just recieved this email reply:

Dear Ross,
As the licenced manufacturer, we are currently awaiting for despatch of a special machine from overseas.
Once it arrives and is commissioned (late next month/early July I hope), I will advise.
Thanks for your interest and we will be in touch

Roger Blake-Lane
Creative Containers Pty Ltd

Cheers Ross
[post="128294"][/post]​
Did he say if they can easily be refilled Ross

normell said:
Did he say if they can easily be refilled Ross
[post="128296"][/post]​

Norm,

I didn't speak to him - The email response as posted.
I won't persue any further until their machine arrives.

cheers Ross

bump

On their website, they mention being non-refillable.

Have U heard back, Ross, and what sort of a machine is this machine which they mention?

It still sounds interesting, and would be great to get the definitive answer.
Thanks, Ross.

Seth

bump

On their website, they mention being non-refillable.

Have U heard back, Ross, and what sort of a machine is this machine which they mention?

It still sounds interesting, and would be great to get the definitive answer.
Thanks, Ross.

Seth

LOL - Didn't see this post before answering in the keg morality thread.

No mate, I'll have to chase up & see if it's still happening...

Cheers Ross

Can anyone tell me what's "eco" about a plastic keg made from non-renewable materials that can be used only once and then recycled into products that will be thrown in the garbage?

I saw this guy on New Inventors some months back and the name is VERY misleading.

The ss jobbies are at least renewable, and when dead can be used for a lot longer than a coke bottle of plastic strapping.

Bazza (vote the Greens)

Can anyone tell me what's "eco" about a plastic keg made from non-renewable materials that can be used only once and then recycled into products that will be thrown in the garbage?

I saw this guy on New Inventors some months back and the name is VERY misleading.

The ss jobbies are at least renewable, and when dead can be used for a lot longer than a coke bottle of plastic strapping.

Bazza (vote the Greens)

I guess "eco" stands for economical & not ecological...

cheers Ross

I guess "eco" stands for economical & not ecological...

cheers Ross

That could be it.
On the show he was plugging it as env friendly though, which is why I get a bit het up.

Did an out of the blue search this morning for ecokegs, and came across this site Coogee Imports Looks like Blue Tongue are getting some beer into some of these kegs first before they are shipped. It appears as though they are offering these (empty) in the US for $60 Link

Ecokegs also have setup in Taiwan Link

There still doesn't seem to be a lot of info regarding these things, especially with pricing on their web sites, but at least it appears that someone is using them. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before we see these for sale in Oz through a reputable distributor...hey Ross :D

Spotted this in some of the info in the links above..

"The EcoKeg uses a standard Sanke tap"

So does that answer the re-filling question..???

When I was sourcing some beer parts last year, I bumped into one of the ecokeg guys in my local draught beer parts shop and had a bit of a chat. I got his contact details but never got round to following it up - I'll try and find them and get onto him.

At the time, he was pretty friendly and helpful, although he did seem a bit of a shiny, uni graduate type - ie, plenty of good positive intentions face to face, but it might be a bit different actually trying to get firm answers.

Will let you know how I go though.

A US company is selling these for US$60 on eBay (I think the link is above) -- according to that info, the Sanke fitting is easily removed. But the non-refillable problem remains. I emailed them last week but never heard anything back. I'm doubtful about their long-term durability. If they were $20-$30, then maybe, but at $60 I don't think they are a bargain at all.

looks like these 'eco'kegs are aimed for use in the commercial sector....... not the homebrewer....

Which is a good first step to reduce the countries environmental footprint I think...

Back