Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Ebc To Lovibond Conversion

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by dicko, 14/2/04.

1. dicko

Boston Bay Brewery

Posted 14/2/04
    G'Day all,
    Can anyone help with a conversion chart or formula to convert EBC to Lovibond.
    I have bought all my grain from Grumpys so far and they supply figures in EBC.
    I now am reading different recipes from other sources and I find some use Lovibond as there grain standard and I would like to match grains if possible.

Cheers B B B.

2. Hoops

Home Page:
    Posted 15/2/04
    BBB

Don't know about a chart - I entered the values into Promash then changed the settings from EBC to Lovibond.

Hoops

3. joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.

Posted 15/2/04
    from papazian,

SRM and Lovibond are approximately the same,

SRM x 2 = EBC

so basically EBC/2 = Lovibond

there was a topic on this not long ago but cant remembet what it was call. also im sure you could get something a bit more precise by searching the net. its surprising how many homebrew site are out there.
    joe

from brewingtechniques.com
    In the United States, color is expressed in terms of the Standard Research Method (SRM) values set by the ASBC or in Lovibond, an older method of visual measurement upon which SRM is based (the two measurements are essentially equivalent). In European lot analyses, color may be measured according to a visual method developed by the European Brewing Convention (expressed as EBC units). The formula EBC = (L X 2.65) - 1.2 gives a reasonably accurate translation to Lovibond values.

4. dicko

Boston Bay Brewery

Posted 15/2/04
    Thanks for that guys!
    I have done a google search and found a heap of info on the subject.
    I was surprised that I could not find anything in the Palmer book.
    Cheers B B B.

5. rcsoccer

Posted 1/7/14
    It's actually not as simple as just multiplying by 2 to get the color in EBC. Even BeerSmith uses this approximation. At the lower end of the spectrum (CaraPils, Crystal 20EBC) it is about double the Lovibond color, but as you get to the higher colors it gets a bit skewed away from 2X(L color) (e.g. - Briess Crystal 60L = ~160 EBC). The actual equation is:

EBC=(2*Lovibond)-1.2

This gives you a more accurate color in EBC.

Cheers!

6. DU99

Retired