Ebay Vacuum Sealers Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,
With the high price of hops, and my increasing inability to brew much, I was thinking of getting a food vac sealer to try and keep things fresh.
I notice in a couple of threads, Batz and a few other talked about buying the cheaper sealers as seen on ebay for about $90

so are these any good, or is it worth the doubled price for the sunbeam?

I have the FoodSaver one, works well with storing hops, sausage, steak bought in bulk etc, but the bags/rolls are expensive :(

If you really want to save stuff, you need to get one that works with foil (mylar?) bags!

I also use mine to reseal hops and specialty grains in their original bags and they work really well

My sealer is still going strong,I buy the bags on ebay as well and save heaps
The bloke I bought it from did a discount for AHB members.
Batz

Sorry haven't gone the evilbay for them as yet. However I am on to my second Foodsaver. They are absolutely brilliant for all thing perishiable. I mainly use mine for steak, I seal 'em tight and leave the steaks to age in the bottom of the fridge for about 6 to 8 weeks. If you love an aged steak these babies pay for themselves in no time. The bags aren't cheap but for what you want to do I wouldn't think it would hurt. But there again I always buy the best quality I can afford at the time to save the disappointment.

Hi all,
With the high price of hops, and my increasing inability to brew much, I was thinking of getting a food vac sealer to try and keep things fresh.
I notice in a couple of threads, Batz and a few other talked about buying the cheaper sealers as seen on ebay for about $90

so are these any good, or is it worth the doubled price for the sunbeam?

I stuck with the Sunbeam. My local Mitre 10 has them for around $190. I know someone who bought one of those cheapies off evil-bay and they swore they would not buy one a gain. So thats why I went the Sunbeam. But yes the bloody bags are dear.

BYB

This is something I am super-keen on knowing as well if someone has a reasonably bulletproof cheap one.

I want to give my homegrown the best possible chances for aroma stability that I can on a budget.

I don't know if you have Sams/Warehouse shops over in Perth, however here in Melbourne (Fountain Gate to be more specific) they're currently having a 'green ticket sale' and have vacuum sealer's with some bags marked down to $59, extra boxes of (40) bags are $19.

I also have an ebay one. Works great had it about 2 yrs. Bags don't work out too expensive if you just want them for hops just keep reusing until they are too small for anything.
I can bring it to the next wcb meeting if you want to try it out.

Rich

I am looking to buy a vacuum sealer as well - I am leaning towards one like this one

Vacuum Sealer

because it doesn't rely on the bags having channels down one side - it has a probe to pull the vacuum rather than a chamber. That means that the bags are cheaper, and in fact you can use any old plastic bag, even old ziplock bags will do, just not as tough.

I plan to bring home lots of mylar ex hop bags - sausages, grain, hops, recalcitrant neighbors... all nicely sealed up and frozen.

TB

That means that the bags are cheaper, and in fact you can use any old plastic bag, even old ziplock bags will do, just not as tough.
I was of the impression that to maintain a decent vacuum you needed bags designed to prevent the flow of oxygen though the bag (they're 2-layer something or other), and did not think that normal plastic bags would do that job as well as the specialty ones?

I have been thinking about one of these for a while.

Does anyone know what the main difference between all of the Sunbeam models is? Their "product comparison" page is horrible.

Cheers
Pedro

IS anyone interested in a bulk buy on perhaps the sunbeam model?

I don't know if you have Sams/Warehouse shops over in Perth, however here in Melbourne (Fountain Gate to be more specific) they're currently having a 'green ticket sale' and have vacuum sealer's with some bags marked down to $59, extra boxes of (40) bags are $19.

Drove all the way into Woden today and all they had were the bags :(

Well if i can get interest in 10 Units, Ill make enquiries
currently at 5

Latest posts

Back