Ebay Keg Systems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davea

Reaction score
hi guys, new poster here so please be kind

sorry i am sure that this would of been discussed here before however ive done some searchs and cant find anything. maybe im using the wrong key words...

im wanting to get a keg setup for my bar. I dont want to brew my own but mainly get a LN keg to drink tooheys. There seems to be a few around on ebay but im not sure what i actually need, would anyone be able to give a newbie some help in all this. The kits seem fairly simple (in fact a bit too simple). Most of the kits dont sell them with tower taps, which is what id want. Would i be best to buy a normal kit similar to this and buy an extra tower tap, or should i buy each item seperate and save myself getting stuff i dont want? From the link im guessing id still need to buy a coupler correct? i wouldnt want the empty tanks or even the tap so i thought seperate might be better.

Apart from mybaronwheels is there anywhere to buy gas bottles rather than hire them? or everyone just takes the hire option for simplicity?

Additionally is there better places to buy this than ebay (eg site sponsers?)

thanks for your help guys, sorry if its already asked...

G'day Dave,
Try any of the site sponsors i am sure they would be able to help you, especially to get exactly the bits you need. Otherwise you could try your local HBS, most of them now sell gas cylinders these days.

If you enter your location i am sure we can point you to your closest HBS.

:beer:

ive updated it now, i actually live in the south west of sydney...

there seems just to be so many places who all sell similar kits so if its not against the rules a particular supplier recommendation would be great.

Im not too worried about the gas cylinder to start off with, id just love to get all other parts sorted.

It seems to be about 150-180 for a 1 tap and 220-250 for a 2 tap, and $100 for a coupler is about the going prices. What would be the other things i need? Is there a place that sells just these as a kit? Or would anyone be able to list the parts for me?

any of the site sponsors would give you a list of all the gear you needed and a quote. They wont try and sell you stuff you dont need either. just be specific about the sort of system you want (ie in your case a simple 1 or 2 tap draught system). I think all online sponsors do gas cylenders as well (I know for certain 1 of them does).

I dont have a keg setup so I wont even begin to advise what you should get. you could also try 'keg setup' on the search thread.

Ill try and get in touch with them today. Are all the sponsers just the ones along the top?

With gas bottles are these the ones your talking about? Gas Bottles

Or there seem to been some at G&G but there too cheap to be full? Is it still possible to fill these or not really? Also whats a soda stream bottle?

If you only want to buy the bits to have draft tooheys at home, you need:
- a gas cylinder to provide the method to push the beer out of the keg,
- a regulator on the gas cylinder to control the pouring pressure
- a keg coupler, to connect the gas in & beer out lines to the keg
- a tap or font with tap, to serve
- line to hook the cylinder to the keg & keg to the tap
- some way to cool the beer (either put the keg in a fridge - 50l kegs are heavy! or use a temprite)

IMHO, I'm not sure why you'd do this when you can make better beer at a cheaper price. B)

The link you provided is to a guy who is selling an intro kit for for homebrewers to get into kegging, you will note the regulator, line & a tap to go through the door of a fridge. this setup doesn't need a coupler cause the "tanks" use a "balllock" fitting that allows the gas & beer lines to be clicked on & off easily. You will find that parts can be bought separately.

By "tower tap" I think you are referring to a "Font" as used in pubs & clubs. Have a look at Craft brewer (site sponsor), your local home brew shop ( there is 1 in St Mary's) & on ebay & you will find heaps. Mykegsonlegs sell co2 cylinders through home brew shops. If you want to run 2 taps simultaneously, you will need 2 kegs, 2 couplers & a T piece to split the gas line.

Ill try and get in touch with them today. Are all the sponsers just the ones along the top?

With gas bottles are these the ones your talking about? Gas Bottles

Or there seem to been some at G&G but there too cheap to be full? Is it still possible to fill these or not really? Also whats a soda stream bottle?

Those bulbs won't be very useful if you are trying to dispense a 50 ltr keg.... you will go through heaps of them. Also a sodastream bottle is a small gas cyclinder (similar to the bulbs but bigger) you can get these from woolies, coles etc. They are meant to be used to make softdrinks.

Your best bet is to rent a bottle from BOC or similar, or if you want to save $$ (especially if you live in NSW) and own one yourself get a mykegonlegs

Cheers, Pok

Also a sodastream bottle is a small gas cyclinder (similar to the bulbs but bigger) you can get these from woolies, coles etc. They are meant to be used to make softdrinks.

So are these a suitable alternative to the gas solution? Im pretty sure seeing you can buy adaptors for them to fit to a normal regulator. I only plan on pooring 4-6 kegs a year. Not a huge amount so im trying to avoid renting a tank, hence the reason im looking for alternatives (otherwise i think it will be kegonlegs). from what ive read it would take me longer than 12 months to use a tank of gas for the load i want.

Thanks for the list, but what about the seals id need or like safety values/tank plugs etc or these are all optional? What about the keg discharger or quick releases?

hi guys, would it be right to say i wouldnt need ball lock conectors if i only planned to use LN keys? As ball lock connectors are only used on the smaller 19L kegs??

hi guys, would it be right to say i wouldnt need ball lock conectors if i only planned to use LN keys? As ball lock connectors are only used on the smaller 19L kegs??

You would not need them. You would need to get your hands on a LN style coupler instead.

Pok

Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave. Start brewing Dave.

the beer actually wouldnt even be for me. Its just an addition to the pool room in the new house. Hence the reason i wont go through huge number of kegs per year. However i may end up giving it a crack later on once ive set it all up.

Is there a certin limited distance that the beer lines could run? Would it be possible to have a 4m plastic line running from the gas to the keg and then a 5m line from the keg to the tap. (only because if i did my home brew id have to use the fridge on the other end of the bar. Where as the original keg will only have 1.5m for each line.

the beer actually wouldnt even be for me. Its just an addition to the pool room in the new house. Hence the reason i wont go through huge number of kegs per year. However i may end up giving it a crack later on once ive set it all up.

Is there a certin limited distance that the beer lines could run? Would it be possible to have a 4m plastic line running from the gas to the keg and then a 5m line from the keg to the tap. (only because if i did my home brew id have to use the fridge on the other end of the bar. Where as the original keg will only have 1.5m for each line.

You can make the line as long as you want but will need higher pressure to keep the gas in solution, otherwise you will pour foam. Also remember the longer then line is the more the beer will heat up so you will need to consider some type of cooling and insulation (flooded font maybe??)

Pok

hmmm yes that did slip my mind....most of the fonts im finding for sale seem like there not flooded, is that correct?

also how do you control the gas on the system, is that what the regulator is for? or is there something else

hmmm yes that did slip my mind....most of the fonts im finding for sale seem like there not flooded, is that correct?

also how do you control the gas on the system, is that what the regulator is for? or is there something else

fonts come in both flooded and non-flooded... the cheaper ones will be NON-flooded but if you are going a long distance with your line are not the best idea as you beer will heat up in the lines. A flooded font will cost more and also you will have to work out a way to "flood" it with a cold solution (either water... or glycol).

Your best bet for decent priced flooded font is either ebay or GMK (a member on here)

The regulator is what you use to "regulate" (control) the gas... just as you do with a gas bbq.

Hope this all helps.

Pok

ill give him a pm thanks...

what is the cheap ones? is 250 the cheap ones or would that be the flooded type... What do u think a flooded one is worth

hi guys, new poster here so please be kind

sorry i am sure that this would of been discussed here before however ive done some searchs and cant find anything. maybe im using the wrong key words...

im wanting to get a keg setup for my bar. I dont want to brew my own but mainly get a LN keg to drink tooheys. There seems to be a few around on ebay but im not sure what i actually need, would anyone be able to give a newbie some help in all this. The kits seem fairly simple (in fact a bit too simple). Most of the kits dont sell them with tower taps, which is what id want. Would i be best to buy a normal kit similar to this and buy an extra tower tap, or should i buy each item seperate and save myself getting stuff i dont want? From the link im guessing id still need to buy a coupler correct? i wouldnt want the empty tanks or even the tap so i thought seperate might be better.

Apart from mybaronwheels is there anywhere to buy gas bottles rather than hire them? or everyone just takes the hire option for simplicity?

Additionally is there better places to buy this than ebay (eg site sponsers?)

thanks for your help guys, sorry if its already asked...

Hey mate, I got the exact same setup as that for my Birthday in August from the Mrs, service was good and items were as described. I wouldn't have any hesitation in buying from them again. I also need a gas bottle too now :)

ill give him a pm thanks...

what is the cheap ones? is 250 the cheap ones or would that be the flooded type... What do u think a flooded one is worth

Generally this would be on the lower end of the scale but it does depend how many taps it supports and also what condition it is in.

Pok

Another option for gas is a CO2 fire extinguisher - do a search for "fire extinguisher" and you should get some hits, there have been a couple of decent threads with a fair bit of info in them.

Back