eBay Items III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the cost of the goods and postage is less than A$1000 there is nothing to pay Customs.

Cheers

If the goods' "country of origin" is the USA, then it is highly probable that it is covered by the Australia/USA free trade agreement, which means no duty, no matter what the value of the goods is. However, my understanding is that for value over AUD$1000, they will charge you the 10% GST.

I'd check everything first. for example, about a year ago, I imported 2 photographic studio flash units from the USA. I checked the customs code designation for flash units against the free trade agreement, and they were duty free. The value was just under AUD$1000, so I payed nothing when they arrived, and UPS shipped them straight to my door. However, a lens that I bought attracted import duty because it was made in Korea. Even though I bought it from a store in the USA. It was much less than AUD$1000.

OK, it not an ebay item but along the same lines.
Jaycar has this Digital Multimeter with temp probe currently on sale for $14.95. A handy multipurpose item :)
Cheers
Doug

If the goods' "country of origin" is the USA, then it is highly probable that it is covered by the Australia/USA free trade agreement, which means no duty, no matter what the value of the goods is. However, my understanding is that for value over AUD$1000, they will charge you the 10% GST.

I'd check everything first. for example, about a year ago, I imported 2 photographic studio flash units from the USA. I checked the customs code designation for flash units against the free trade agreement, and they were duty free. The value was just under AUD$1000, so I payed nothing when they arrived, and UPS shipped them straight to my door. However, a lens that I bought attracted import duty because it was made in Korea. Even though I bought it from a store in the USA. It was much less than AUD$1000.
You are correct in that if the cost fo the goods + postage is greater than $1000 you will pay GST regardless of whether duty is payable.

As for paying under $1000. The current regime says that if the cost of the landed goods ie. goods + freight is under $1000 you won't have to pay. This threshold has increased in the last year or two.

You are correct in that if the cost fo the goods + postage is greater than $1000 you will pay GST regardless of whether duty is payable.

As for paying under $1000. The current regime says that if the cost of the landed goods ie. goods + freight is under $1000 you won't have to pay. This threshold has increased in the last year or two.

Strictly the GST is due on the value of the goods plus transport costs in $AU on the day they arrive in Australia, that is using that days conversion rate not the rate you paid. There are exemptions for personal goods under certain values and $1000 sounds about right.

Duty is abolished and replaced with GST, some items have tarriffs applied to them on arrival in Australia, footwear for one, there are lists of these items available from customs I think. www.customs.gov.au should give you some more info, I remember from when I was looking at this the information was hard to get to.

Be careful of this one guys!
I asked why he only quotes postage to the highest bidder and got a very nasty email in return.
Suppose if you win he may charge $100.00 postage,what ever it's a supprize

Be warned

Two tap font

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...646888&rd=1

Batz

Strictly the GST is due on the value of the goods plus transport costs in $AU on the day they arrive in Australia, that is using that days conversion rate not the rate you paid. There are exemptions for personal goods under certain values and $1000 sounds about right.

Duty is abolished and replaced with GST, some items have tarriffs applied to them on arrival in Australia, footwear for one, there are lists of these items available from customs I think. www.customs.gov.au should give you some more info, I remember from when I was looking at this the information was hard to get to.
Customs Officer here. I know :)
:chug:

An awesome looking PID controller in Richmond, Victoria. Currently at $75, you could run your whole brewery with this one.

Linky

cheers

Browndog

I asked why he only quotes postage to the highest bidder and got a very nasty email in return.
Suppose if you win he may charge $100.00 postage,what ever it's a supprize
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...646888&rd=1
Batz

F*** him... Thats totally ridiculous wanting someone to bid for your item and not even tell them what the postage will be. I got burnt on one like this ages ago. Silly me decide to place a bid ( i may or may not have been under the influence your honour) and ended up paying a kings ransom in postage.
Please be very careful on EvilBay....

What's the rub, just decline the purchase if the freight is too much! Let him re auction it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back