• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know we're taking this thread OT, but FJ have you got someone else near you with one? Might be worth checking if it performs the same in the same conditions? The other thing that seems to effect the clarity of the line for me is the presence of hop material and bubbles in the sample. Have you tried taking a reading with first runnings? (before your first hop addition)

Yeah, we are taking this OT, but it serves as a warning for buying cheap chinese stuff (Did I mention hops......d'oh). I have had a winemaker (HoppinMad) use it and he has a very good one and gets a bit frustrated when he is over brewing with me!

I am careful about the sample I use, no bubbles, no hop material etc. I always take my pre-boil gravity reading, so no hops there at all. I also often take a sample from my mash-tun for each batch sparge, to check the gravity of the wort for that given sparge cycle. I often take pH readings at the same time. It has always been blurry on the line. I am thinking I might just buy another one but the 0-18 one and do some comparisons.

Any way, we'll let this topic get back on topic.....

Nope, even when pointing it up to the sunlight it is still blurry. Wonder if I got a lemon?

Mine's the same as yours :angry:
Others seem fine, its the usual Chinese lottery.

Oh one of you guys in SE QLD has to buy this!!!

Walk-in coolroom 1.7m x 1.8m x 2.35m high - it has three beer taps, and drip tray on outside with glass racks above! Only $460 when this post was ermm, posted.
Buy this and post pictures! LINKY

Back