Ebay Gas Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropbear85

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to buy a burner and I was going to grab a 3 ring from BCF but then i found this on ebay. and it comes with a hose and reg.
Has anyone used one before? is it worth paying the little bit extra to have the extra grunt?

Also am I right in assuming the brass valves are to control / turn on and off individual rings so once i have got my wort to a boil i could knock back a ring or 2 to save on gas?

Cheers,

Dropbear

Four burners are not worth it, I have one and only ever use three of the rings anyway, using a high pressure adjustable reg. Go for a spiral burner, or something else. These cheap chinese burners are not very good.

Looking to buy a burner and I was going to grab a 3 ring from BCF but then i found this on ebay. and it comes with a hose and reg.
Has anyone used one before? is it worth paying the little bit extra to have the extra grunt?

Also am I right in assuming the brass valves are to control / turn on and off individual rings so once i have got my wort to a boil i could knock back a ring or 2 to save on gas?

BCF and/or other camping stores will generally stock the 4-ring ones as well. Sometimes they come with a cage/frame to sit your pot on as well. How big is your boil kettle? I boil around 45L with a 3-ring, but I use an adjustable medium pressure reg with it to ensure that it keeps a rolling boil. A 4-ring with a standard reg would probably do it, although I can't say for sure.

And yes, the brass valves control individual rings. Get it to the boil, and you then have the option of turning off a ring or 2.

Four burners are not worth it, I have one and only ever use three of the rings anyway, using a high pressure adjustable reg. Go for a spiral burner, or something else. These cheap chinese burners are not very good.

Can you recommend an alternative?
Keep in mind im pretty tight

BCF and/or other camping stores will generally stock the 4-ring ones as well. Sometimes they come with a cage/frame to sit your pot on as well. How big is your boil kettle? I boil around 45L with a 3-ring, but I use an adjustable medium pressure reg with it to ensure that it keeps a rolling boil. A 4-ring with a standard reg would probably do it, although I can't say for sure.

And yes, the brass valves control individual rings. Get it to the boil, and you then have the option of turning off a ring or 2.

Yeah ill be using a 50l keg and boiling about 40l. I was going to grab a 3-ring but I though by the time you add the hose and reg im at about the same price as this anyway. What type of reg would you recommend

You have 5 options in gas:

- 3 ring burners (slow and crap)
- 4 ring burners (less slow and less crap)
- Mongolian Burners (2 sizes available - not crap, but more jets means more heat)
- Italian Spiral Burners (quiet)
- Nasa burners/US Turkey Burners (noisy and fast)

The fastest are Nasa, but they chew more gas and make more noise.
Italian Spirals are the quietest and best for night brewing, but can be slow depending on whether you have a medium or high pressure reg.
Mongolians are one of the few burners as I understand it that you can connect to household gas lines and some are used for that purpose. Depending on the reg used Mongolians and Spirals are line-ball for speed with Nasa being the fastest to heat up. I have also seen 'crab cookers' on here which resemble flame throwers and used by SA fisherman - a novel approach to heating!

You also have electrical so don't forget that one:

- Heating element taken from a kettle and attached to food grade bucket, pot or keggle (known as 'bucket of death' for obvious reasons)
- Heating element 'wand type' as commonly sold on ebay and via places like Keg King
- Portable immersion heater which you clamp to the side of the pot

Most brewers use heating elements for heating strike water, but some do use them for mashing too. People who fully automate their systems tend to gravitate towards electric as you don't have to watch stuff so much as it is perceived to be safer than gas.

Retailers of these items include sponsors, beer belly, keg king, chinese grocers/hardgoods suppliers, italian specialty stores where winemakers get their gear. Grain and Grape also sell the mongolians.

Loads of choices when heating stuff up and plenty to ponder. Good luck!

Hopper.

Yeah ill be using a 50l keg and boiling about 40l. I was going to grab a 3-ring but I though by the time you add the hose and reg im at about the same price as this anyway. What type of reg would you recommend

Looks very similar to one they have on the Absolute homebrew website here you'll have to scroll down and click on the photo. about the same price but it comes with a hose and i dont have to pay shipping.

Will it do the same job? it says 0-200kpa

You also have electrical so don't forget that one:

- Heating element taken from a kettle and attached to food grade bucket, pot or keggle (known as 'bucket of death' for obvious reasons)
- Heating element 'wand type' as commonly sold on ebay and via places like Keg King
- Portable immersion heater which you clamp to the side of the pot

I have the 3rd option here, portable immersion heater. great bit of kit.
It would boil 35 odd litres in a Keg, but struggles to do so in the large 80L pot i have due to large surface area of the wort.

Quiet and no fuss option if using a keg. Insulating the keg would also help getting a boil going.

Only downside i guess is it is basically on or off, can't throttle them without some electrickery.

I use a 3ring and the element together. The 3 ring alone off a standard BBQ reg will boil 40L no problems. Together it is quick and i can turn the gas right down / off once boiling and keep it ticking along with the element if i so choose.

My 3 ring was from BCF. After 3 brews it looks 100 years old and has rusted through in areas. Pretty sh!t if you ask me, but it still works.

As hopping said, plenty of choices to help you procrastinate.

D80.

Yeah i think i would like to stick to gas to start with and I may add an immersion heater when cash is more later down the track to speed things up.

The 3 rings from BCF are a piece of crap. Mine's only half a dozen brews in and looks like it's falling apart, they had also bogged a few holes in it with something that burnt out after about 3 brews. It doesn't burn very well either, I struggle with yellow flame despite full open air valves. I spent almost 180 on a 37l crab pot and a 3ring from memory and I wish I'd spent the money for a spiral+Stand and a bigger pot. Sometimes being cheap is to your detriment.

It is a blow torch, very similar to how a nasa burner works, hook it up, mount it under kettle and away you go. Very similar to

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a blow torch, very similar to how a nasa burner works, hook it up, mount it under kettle and away you go. Very similar to

Im intrigued... do you use one of these? what do you mount it to?

If it goes off like that video it looks like it would smash a 9kg bottle in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you could mount it using a burette/beaker clamp or something similar?

Im intrigued... do you use one of these? what do you mount it to?

If it goes off like that video it looks like it would smash a 9kg bottle in no time.

No I don't use one, but have had the link four about four years so that I could buy one eventually and get rid of my four ring burner! Someone on the site here does have one though, it is where I got the original idea for finding the link anyway.

A variable pressure regulator allows you to change the pressure, so you can reduce the pressure so that you use just the gas you need to maintain a boil.

I'd think you could easily make a mount using a role of frame reinforcing steel strapping from Bunnings or something like that. Add a BBQ click igniter and you'd have a pretty nice burner setup.

No I don't use one, but have had the link four about four years so that I could buy one eventually and get rid of my four ring burner! Someone on the site here does have one though, it is where I got the original idea for finding the link anyway.

A variable pressure regulator allows you to change the pressure, so you can reduce the pressure so that you use just the gas you need to maintain a boil.

I'd think you could easily make a mount using a role of frame reinforcing steel strapping from Bunnings or something like that. Add a BBQ click igniter and you'd have a pretty nice burner setup.

I've got one. You can get them from a fishing co-op store that supplies fishing tackle to the commercial fisherman. They are called rock burners & are used for their crab or prawn cookers on their trawlers. You'll get some neighbor complaints running it flat out, it sounds like the space shuttle lifting off with 100,000lbs of thrust, it's really noisy.

I just bought a 4 ring burner last night from Auscrown here . I decided it was worth the $25 more to go with auscrown over eBay as I'm hoping their quality standards will be a little bit better than the cheap Chinese options. Personally I like to cook with gas, I'm not a fan of the electrical heating options, but that's just me. It also seemed like 4 ring = better than 3 ring, hence the extra bit of cash for when I may need to use the 4th ring to get things going. At the end of the day its just flame to a piece of steel, don't over think it. What ever you buy will most likely do the job.

Back