Ebay Chest Freezers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
Howdy. I'm sick of chasing chest freezers on ebay that go for 10% less than retail for a 30 year old freezer. I've had 2 fridges and a chest freezer ($500 all up) die on me within a year of buying 2nd hand, so I'm thinking of forking out for newbie.

Has anyone had experiences with the commercial units "snow*boy" sells example?

Price looks good, no mention of a brand name though which makes me a little wary.

Failing that, does anyone have any suggestions? I've been on the prowl for 18 months now, and the closest I came was just missing out on a brand name 300L chest freezer from a closing down radio rentals sale for about $300. With kruddy money on its way, I want/need a chest freezer! :)

+1 for buying new. No experience with "Snow Boy".

I've had a few second hand specials die on me too. Usually after I've cleaned them and replaced the seals. Very annoying. I've since shelled out for a new freezer and expect to have no more issuers for the foreseeable future. Brought a F&P H510 from Appliances online. Holds 12 kegs with a collar.

+1 for Ebay scores. I got my chest freezer a year ago or so which stores 6 kegs collarless for $60 which "doesn't freeze", and that's correct. It does keep it at a steady 3 or 4 though.

Then when you get the Powas, then you get the ... Refigerators?

ssada-4.jpg

How big did you want to go Sammus?

I saw a floor stock F&P H220 model at domayne taren point for $468 the other day which will hold 4 kegs with a collar.

I was hoping for something a bit bigger, like 500L+ :) At least 300L anyway.

Cheers for the tip though.

I'm thinking I might go with a brand name (As opposed to the no-name "commercial" unit I linked in the OP)... I feel a bit better about it with a big purchase.

Bit of grave digging, I know, but has anyone had success with eBay users such as Wellkart or snow*boy??

They both sell quite reasonably priced, new chest freezers for ~$1/L, with warranties.

I'm looking at getting a chesty that holds around 10 kegs, so in the 400-500L ballpark.

Just wondering if many people over the past few years had bought any that are still kicking along nicely?

Just a cheeky little bump.

Bit of grave digging, I know, but has anyone had success with eBay users such as Wellkart or snow*boy??

They both sell quite reasonably priced, new chest freezers for ~$1/L, with warranties.

I'm looking at getting a chesty that holds around 10 kegs, so in the 400-500L ballpark.

Just wondering if many people over the past few years had bought any that are still kicking along nicely?

I've got a Wellkart chestie, from eBay. Picked up around a year ago. Might be this one?
Came with wheels. thermostat, and ice-cream style glass panes as well. Stuck a collar on it, and computer fan inside and, touch wood, hasn't skipped a beat since. I have it set to 7C. All seems good. No moisture issues. Does make a bit of noise now and then, nothing untoward but I wouldn't stick it in the living room.
Mine only holds 6 kegs.
Free delivery was a big bonus for me at the time, as was the way they publish all measurements on the ad.

Latest posts

Back