Fridge / Freezer Power Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eg would using a 2deg "spread" on the desired temp cost you more than that of a normal fridge thermostat etc

That's what I have my fridge variable set to. Not quantified by data but my impression is that the compressor runs less than if let to run on its own cycle

Hey Kev

are any of the fridges you tested running a STC etc? i was wondering if the STC would cause more power to be consumed or less or same?

eg would using a 2deg "spread" on the desired temp cost you more than that of a normal fridge thermostat etc

Only the 320L fermenting fridge is running one, and it's set to a Hy (spread) value of 1. I think running the stc-1000 potentially could save power. Itself it only consumes minimal, but most fridges run heaters to prevent the gas from freezing up when it's not running. Using the stc-1000 kills the power, hence stops the heater from running. Could be an issue if your fridge is in a really cold spot, but I think inside isn't an issue.

Having a further spread compared to a close on I don't think would save power. It does mean the compressor cycles less, but when it runs it runs for longer heating the condenser up more and the hotter the condenser the less efficient the fridge.

QldKev

The power company I work for ran a 2nd fridge survey a year or so ago, giving us a data logger for a month.
I've got an old 250L Kelvinator with internal freezer, run through a fridgemate set at 4 degrees C.

Turned out at it was costing me a whopping total of $47/year... that's barely $4 month.
The average cost for the survey was $116/year.

The power company I work for ran a 2nd fridge survey a year or so ago, giving us a data logger for a month.
I've got an old 250L Kelvinator with internal freezer, run through a fridgemate set at 4 degrees C.

Turned out at it was costing me a whopping total of $47/year... that's barely $4 month.
The average cost for the survey was $116/year.

They say modern fridges are a lot more efficient. When you compare your 250L fridge/freezer @ $47 a year, say at 25c kWh = 188kWhr/yr. A brand new 250L fridge is spec'd at 414kWhr/yr, so over twice the power requirement of your one. Even the keg king at just 163L and only a fridge without the freezer, mine is drawing $63. So much for modern fridges being more efficient.

Do you know what $ per kw/hr the data loggers were set to?

QldKev

They say modern fridges are a lot more efficient. When you compare your 250L fridge/freezer @ $47 a year, say at 25c kWh = 188kWhr/yr. A brand new 250L fridge is spec'd at 414kWhr/yr, so over twice the power requirement of your one. Even the keg king at just 163L and only a fridge without the freezer, mine is drawing $63. So much for modern fridges being more efficient.

Do you know what $ per kw/hr the data loggers were set to?

QldKev
I reckon it says a lot for the fridgemates too, being able to set the fridge accurately rather than a vague "max/min dial" in the fridge.
I let them know this was running through a fridgemate before the survey, which they were happy with.
For the record, the estimated yearly consumption was 248kwh @ a 19c/kwh tariff.

Only the 320L fermenting fridge is running one, and it's set to a Hy (spread) value of 1. I think running the stc-1000 potentially could save power. Itself it only consumes minimal, but most fridges run heaters to prevent the gas from freezing up when it's not running. Using the stc-1000 kills the power, hence stops the heater from running. Could be an issue if your fridge is in a really cold spot, but I think inside isn't an issue.

Having a further spread compared to a close on I don't think would save power. It does mean the compressor cycles less, but when it runs it runs for longer heating the condenser up more and the hotter the condenser the less efficient the fridge.

QldKev

Thanks Kev

i just picked up a freebie for a new keggorator and thought it was a dud (low gas / always running) but it seems to be OK and is now running "as normal"
and was thinking i would install the STC-1000 (but need to order another from HK...).

it's one of the "fan forced" styles and interestingly you can "feel" the cold on the back of the fridge where the fans are blowing it "down"
i was thinking sheeting the back area with some Styro-foam that might improve the performance as long as i don't sheet over the outer coils.

it's got the "coils" inside the side walls and you could / can feel the heat
i often wonder why they build them into the walls now as the fridge would have to "fight" this residual heat compared to the older exterior rear coils.
i guess it protects the coils when moving ?

I need to borrow one of those energy meter things..

Added Washing machine, and HWS

Fridges
Fridges will draw more power the warmer it is. To give you an idea of current temps forecast average for the period is around min 14c/ max 26c

450+ upside fridge from the 80's?, average over past 24hrs says will cost $243 per annum (based on $0.25c per kWh), so 972kWh/yr
The fridge door was not opened during the test period, so in the real world with warmish kegs being added etc, and summer coming it would be more.

380L upright house freezer, about 10 years old. full of food, normal use for doors opening etc, cost $194 per annum, so 776kWh/yr
So this full freezer is cheaper to run than the old fridge.

420L full fridge, about 10 years old (pidgeon pair with freezer), normal use, cost $93 per annum, so 372kWh/yr

163L keg king fridge, set to 6c, door not opened during test, no beers poured, cost $62, so 248kWh/yr

618L twin side by side with cold water ice maker, <5 years old, normal use, cost $173, so 692kWh/yr (edit: just checked the enerygyrating website and it says 687kWh/yr, so pretty close)
This fridge has separate condenser and fans in both the fridge and freezer which is supposed to be more efficient than the side by side that use a flap to control air from the freezer to keep the fridge cool.

320L fermenting fridge with 2 fermenters at:
stable at 18c, cost $33 per annum, so 132kWh/yr
24hr period crash chilling from 20c to 4c, cost $237 per annum, so 948kWh/yr (out of interest I worked out this means the fridge has been on for 60% of the time over the 24hours)
stable at 4c, $142, 568kWh/yr

Fan in fermenting fridge.
Standard 12cm pc fan mounted from an old 12v dc power pack, running all the time. This one was a surprise to me, I will change it to only come on with the fridge.
cost $8.91, so 35.64kWh/yr

Computers
Since computers vary greatly depending on usage I will list idle (ie sitting in windows), and a couple of usage scenarios

Quad core, GTX260
Idle, 150w
Game, Zero Hour 230w
Game, Racedriver Grid 300w
Overall average over past 3 days heading for $200 per annum, so 800kWh/yr (not actually as bad as I though, but usage on this has been lighter than normal)

i5, GTX570
Off, 5w
Idle, 224w
Game, RuneScape 250w
Game, WOW 310w
Overall average cost $410 per annum, so 1640kWh/yr (Ouch, who would have though the most expensive item to run)

BioCycle
$170 per annum, so 681kWh/yr
I don't think it pumped out during the test period, but the pump doesn't run for that long so should not be that much extra.

Washing Machine
7kg top loader, full water level, cold wash only
$15 per annum, so 60kWh/yr
Less than I thought.

HWS
Solar hot water with storage tank on the ground level.
Booster has never been switched on, don't even know if it works lol. I assume this will be low as it should only be a pump to recirculate the water.
Tested over 4 days, average 2.546kWh/day (remember booster on the tank is OFF)
$232 per annum, so 929kWh/yr

I don't get the Solar hot water. The booster is off at the wall where it goes to the tank. If I turn off the main switch for the HWS in the power box we have cold water after a day or so. I've noticed often after someone has had a shower the meter jumps up to just above 3,000w for a period of time. Why am I running a 3,000w element if I have solar?

QldKev

Thought I'd add this in:

Today I measured my Braumeister's power consumption for a full batch (20L). Came to 6.2 kWh - so for me around $1.51 per batch.

Pretty good I thought - I was expecting it to cost more. I did a 75 minute boil, with my mash 5/90/10 minutes at 55/67/78 degrees.

Also my aldi wine frige set to 18 degrees in low 20's ambient used around 2 kWh in a bit over a week.

Though I would post up my theoretical savings so far...

The pigeon pair from the house was moved to the brewery
So in the house
FROM
380L upright house freezer, cost $194 per annum
420L full fridge, cost $93 per annum
TO
618L twin side by side with cold water ice maker, normal use, cost $173,
SAVINGS
Was (194+93)=287
Now 173
Saving $114 a year

Using old pigeon pair freezer as keggerator replacement
FROM
450+ upside fridge from the 80's?, cost $243 per annum
TO
380L upright house freezer, about 10 years old. (this was $194 at freezer temp) $110 a year (and dropping as I had door open for a few hours mounting kegs supports etc.)
SAVINGS
Was 243
Now 110
Saving $133 a year

Using old pigeon pair fridge as fermenting fridge replacement
FROM
stable at 18c, cost $33 per annum, so 132kWh/yr
stable at 4c, $142, 568kWh/yr
If I apply 1/4 of the time at 4c I average it to $60 a year
TO
I'll assume cost 30 per annum at 18c
420L full fridge, about 10 years old (pidgeon pair with freezer), normal use, cost $93 per annum, so our 4c
If I apply 1/4 of the time at 4c I average it to $45 a year
SAVINGS
Was 60
Now $45
Saving $15 a year (wow, but I have gone from a old fridge to a cleaner looking one, which is bigger inside so I can get an extra fermenter in)

TOTAL savings $262 a year.

The wife got an upgraded double door fridge with ice and water makers and is happy. Although technically we lost 100L fridge/freezer space here.
I got an upgraded kegerator. Although I lost 100L space, everything does still fit. My hops have moved from freezer storage to fridge storage so it may have an impact on how many years they can be kept.
I got an updated fermenting fridge, which I can now fit 3 fermenters rather than the 2 in the old setup.

In this case the new (second hand, a couple of year old) fridge will pay itself of within 2 years.
BUT if I had purchased the exact same fridge brand new it would have taken over 12 years to break even.

QldKev

Back