Fridge / Freezer Power Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
450+ upside fridge from the 80's?, average over past 24hrs says will cost $243 per annum (based on $0.25c per kWh), so 972kWh/yr
The fridge door was not opened during the test period, so in the real world with warmish kegs being added etc, and summer coming it would be more.

320L fermenting fridge with 2 fermenters sitting stable at 18c, cost $33 per annum, so 132kWh/yr
In about a week I will get some stats on this fridge at 4c

380L upright house freezer, about 10 years old. full of food, normal use for doors opening etc, cost $194 per annum, so 776kWh/yr
So this full freezer is cheaper to run than the old fridge.

420L full fridge, about 10 years old (pidgeon pair with freezer), normal use, cost $93 per annum, so 372kWh/yr

163L keg king fridge, set to 6c, door not opened during test, no beers poured, cost $62, so 248kWh/yr

I've got a new 617L fridge to test soon, but it won't be for a couple of days as I don't want to reset the ice maker at this point (trying to get the ice bin full of ice, and turning it off resets the ice maker for 12hours).

Off to test my computers

QldKev

Interesting read Kev and something I have been thinking of doing for a while.

Someone at work has one of the clipsal devices below which is installed by an electrician and then tells you on a display how much you are using at anyone time so if you want you can turn certain items off and see what it saves you.
I think they are around the $150-$200 but can give a big saving over time

Clipsal meter

Cheers

Robbo

Interesting read Kev and something I have been thinking of doing for a while.

Someone at work has one of the clipsal devices below which is installed by an electrician and then tells you on a display how much you are using at anyone time so if you want you can turn certain items off and see what it saves you.
I think they are around the $150-$200 but can give a big saving over time

Clipsal meter

Cheers

Robbo

Glad you've got something out of it. I was hoping a few people will get ideas from the stats.

I've got one of the Gov Climate Smart Home meters, but I find it pretty ordinary. Unless I turn off all the fridges etc it's forever jumping around. Also it only gives an instantaneous reading, and a total usage for the household. So you can't monitor just one individual device over 24hours unless you turn off everything else and go away for the period. But for total home monitoring it is great.

I've already updated my main house fridge (last minute bargain on ebay, a couple year old double door fridge with cold water and ice for cheap), then the old main fridge and freezer can be used in the brewery to replace the 450L, and the 320L fermenting fridge above.

I plugged my pc in to the Belkin this morning, it's looking very scary at the moment. At idle it's 150watt and playing a game it goes over 300watts. Since this morning it's saying the average is $359 per year. I can run a couple of fridges for the same power, not looking forward to trying the sons higher powered pc.

QldKev

This thread inspired me to get a meter and be more energy efficient.

Originally I was going after a vintage fridge for my fermenting fridge, but then I realised I kinda need two so probably will look at a freezer for fermenting, and use the vintage fridge for the kegs and bottled beers, a beer fridge. But now seeing that the vintage fridge may be better suited for fermenting to keep costs down.

I guess I will do some experimenting once I get a meter.

Although here is a few tips that I noticed from some of your photos that will help cut electricity use; Despite what hte manual says, it is best to have 15cm at least from back of fridge to wall, and 6cm space on sides. This helps cooling down more, as the motor warms up the air in the small space.
Or at least that is what I was told and taught, so i am interested to see if it is true for others?

Worth dusting the coil and motor time to time, say 6 months.

For those that are interested in household checking power usage, I'll post my non-fridge results too.

Fridges

450+ upside fridge from the 80's?, average over past 24hrs says will cost $243 per annum (based on $0.25c per kWh), so 972kWh/yr
The fridge door was not opened during the test period, so in the real world with warmish kegs being added etc, and summer coming it would be more.

320L fermenting fridge with 2 fermenters sitting stable at 18c, cost $33 per annum, so 132kWh/yr

380L upright house freezer, about 10 years old. full of food, normal use for doors opening etc, cost $194 per annum, so 776kWh/yr

420L full fridge, about 10 years old (pidgeon pair with freezer), normal use, cost $93 per annum, so 372kWh/yr

163L keg king fridge, set to 6c, door not opened during test, no beers poured, cost $62, so 248kWh/yr

Computers

Since computers vary greatly depending on usage I will list idle (ie sitting in windows), and a couple of usage scenarios

Quad core, GTX260
Idle, 150w
Game, Zero Hour 230w
Game, Racedriver Grid 300w
Overall average over past 3 days heading for $200 per annum, so 800kWh/yr (not actually as bad as I though, but usage on this has been lighter than normal)

QldKev

Interesting reading - thought I'd share some vague stats.

Our electricity bill sits fairly stable around the $150 per quater mark - far cheaper than most people I talk to. There's only 2 of us so that's a good start.

This is what we have:
- almost all lights in the house are energy saving (the others: one I can't reach, one is a flood light for the back yard and the others are on a dimmer and the energy saving bulbs "dimmable" bulbs don't like it). I'm also a little OCD about turning them off when not in the room.
- we have natural gas which we use for the stove and the instant hot water system
- we have a pigeon pair in the kitchen 400ishL each (a little excesive TBH)
- 1 ferment fridge - old bar size freezer. under the house - well ventilated but shaded
- 1 keg fridge - old 300ish L with the floor of the freezer compartment removed to make a single space - runs @ 5 degrees
- no aircon but the house doesn't generally need it, ceiling fans used sparingly
- 36" LED LCD tv
- 'a few' computers etc but only on when in use generally
- Electric urn for BIAB :)

We're literally days away from starting a reno which will, amongst other things, involve a new kitchen (requiring a single 800mm fridge/freezer, probably resulting in a brewery upgrade) and a deck with a kegerator :) Once we can afford a second tv and a sound system to complete the deck I'll let you know how much the bills have gone up but I think it'll be loose change compared to the mortgage.

Ed

Interesting reading - thought I'd share some vague stats.

Our electricity bill sits fairly stable around the $150 per quater mark - far cheaper than most people I talk to.

Ed

wish mine was only double that..... thats very low IMO.

Fridges

618L twin side by side with cold water ice maker, <5 years old, normal use, cost $173, so 692kWh/yr (edit: just checked the enerygyrating website and it says 687kWh/yr, so pretty close)
This fridge has separate condenser and fans in both the fridge and freezer which is supposed to be more efficient than the side by side that use a flap to control air from the freezer to keep the fridge cool.

Computers

Since computers vary greatly depending on usage I will list idle (ie sitting in windows), and a couple of usage scenarios

Quad core, GTX260
Idle, 150w
Game, Zero Hour 230w
Overall average over past 3 days heading for $200 per annum, so 800kWh/yr (not actually as bad as I though, but usage on this has been lighter than normal)

QldKev

Fridges

618L twin side by side with cold water ice maker, <5 years old, normal use, cost $173, so 692kWh/yr (edit: just checked the enerygyrating website and it says 687kWh/yr, so pretty close)
This fridge has separate condenser and fans in both the fridge and freezer which is supposed to be more efficient than the side by side that use a flap to control air from the freezer to keep the fridge cool.

320L fermenting fridge with 2 fermenters at:
stable at 18c, cost $33 per annum, so 132kWh/yr
24hr period crash chilling from 20c to 4c, cost $237 per annum, so 948kWh/yr (out of interest I worked out this means the fridge has been on for 60% of the time over the 24hours)
stable at 4c, TBA

Computers

Quad core, GTX260
Idle, 150w
Game, Zero Hour 230w

i5, GTX570
TBA

BioCycle
TBA

Fridges will draw more power the warmer it is. To give you an idea of current temps todays forecast is 14c/26c

QldKev

Added the 4c for the fermenting fridge, the fermenting fridge fan and the BioCycle readings.

Fridges

24hr period crash chilling from 20c to 4c, cost $237 per annum, so 948kWh/yr (out of interest I worked out this means the fridge has been on for 60% of the time over the 24hours)
stable at 4c, $142, 568kWh/yr

Fan in fermenting fridge.
Standard 12cm pc fan mounted from an old 12v dc power pack, running all the time. This one was a surprise to me, I will change it to only come on with the fridge.
cost $8.91, so 35.64kWh/yr

Computers

Quad core, GTX260
Idle, 150w
Game, Zero Hour 230w

i5, GTX570
TBA

BioCycle
$170 per annum, so 681kWh/yr
I don't think it pumped out during the test period, but the pump doesn't run for that long so should not be that much extra.

HWS
Solar hot water with storage tank on the ground level.
Booster has never been switched on, don't even know if it works lol. I assume this will be low as it should only be a pump to recirculate the water.
TBA

Fridges will draw more power the warmer it is. To give you an idea of current temps forecast average for the period is around 14c/26c

QldKev

Take a look the results of my experimental results on my fridge here

Results were compared using standard fridge, adding extra insulation, adding fan outside on coils, adding fan inside and combinations.

By having fan inside, outside and extra insulation, total running cost is about 50% of the plain fridge!

Take a look the results of my experimental results on my fridge here

Results were compared using standard fridge, adding extra insulation, adding fan outside on coils, adding fan inside and combinations.

By having fan inside, outside and extra insulation, total running cost is about 50% of the plain fridge!

I remember reading it, maybe I'll have try some experiments. With your one getting hit with direct sun it would cause a huge difference with the insulation on that side. I know when my keg king fridge gets hit with the morning sun if no-one has closed the blinds (fridge is 4m away from the window) and it shoots up to 11c with the compressor running.

Only thing soon I won't have any older style fridges with the cooling fins at the back. Did you switch the fans on/off with the fridgemate when running the fridge? Also was the energy meter also calculating for the fans draw?

Hopefully at the end with all these ideas I should be able to save a couple of hundred $ a year in power.

QldKev

<snip>

Did you switch the fans on/off with the fridgemate when running the fridge? Also was the energy meter also calculating for the fans draw?

<snip>

Yes, the fans & fridge and on a power strip and the fridgemate controls the powerstrip. The power meter was connected at the wall outlet -> power meter -> fridgemate -> powerstrip -> fridge/fans arrangement.

So the two 15watt desk fans power consumption is taken into account.

Added second computer... Ouch!

Fridges

stable at 4c, $142, 568kWh/yr

Fan in fermenting fridge.
Standard 12cm pc fan mounted from an old 12v dc power pack, running all the time. This one was a surprise to me, I will change it to only come on with the fridge.
cost $8.91, so 35.64kWh/yr

Computers

Quad core, GTX260
Idle, 150w
Game, Zero Hour 230w

i5, GTX570
Off, 5w
Idle, 224w
Game, RuneScape 250w
Game, WOW 310w
Overall average cost $410 per annum, so 1640kWh/yr (Ouch, who would have though the most expensive item to run)

BioCycle
$170 per annum, so 681kWh/yr
I don't think it pumped out during the test period, but the pump doesn't run for that long so should not be that much extra.

HWS
Solar hot water with storage tank on the ground level.
Booster has never been switched on, don't even know if it works lol. I assume this will be low as it should only be a pump to recirculate the water.
TBA

Fridges will draw more power the warmer it is. To give you an idea of current temps forecast average for the period is around 14c/26c

QldKev

Great read Kev!

Wish I could get those figures for running a fridge or 2, we pay 40c/kw here flat rate. Just went up at the start of the financial year. Bastards!

Great read Kev!

Wish I could get those figures for running a fridge or 2, we pay 40c/kw here flat rate. Just went up at the start of the financial year. Bastards!

40c ouch, I though we had it bad at just short of 25c

Hopefully we are on the correct path to savings. The wife has wanted a newer fridge for the kitchen for a while, so I picked up the 618L fridge/freezer to replace the older pigeon pair. Then the pidgeon pair can be moved to the brewery to replace the old style fridges I have there. I wasn't sure how much difference the newer fridge/freezer with the auto ice maker and water would be against a 10 year old pigeon pair. Just in power savings from doing the fridge swaps we should pay off the cost of the 618L within 2 years. (would be 12 years if I paid new price for the same fridge, but then I wouldn't pay >$3,000 for a fridge)

Also worked out just by the son turning off his gaming pc when not using it we stand to save $450 a year :eek:
Plus me ensuring my pc is not left on all the time we should save another at least $100.

It looks like we are heading to save about 1/4 of our bill over-all from the fridges and pc changes, so the $20 for the device was a good investment.

QldKev

Hopefully we are on the correct path to savings. The wife has wanted a newer fridge for the kitchen for a while, so I picked up the 618L fridge/freezer to replace the older pigeon pair. Then the pidgeon pair can be moved to the brewery to replace the old style fridges I have there. I wasn't sure how much difference the newer fridge/freezer with the auto ice maker and water would be against a 10 year old pigeon pair. Just in power savings from doing the fridge swaps we should pay off the cost of the 618L within 2 years. (would be 12 years if I paid new price for the same fridge, but then I wouldn't pay >$3,000 for a fridge)

Also worked out just by the son turning off his gaming pc when not using it we stand to save $450 a year :eek:
Plus me ensuring my pc is not left on all the time we should save another at least $100.

It looks like we are heading to save about 1/4 of our bill over-all from the fridges and pc changes, so the $20 for the device was a good investment.

QldKev

Great info, Kev. I especially like that if we all go out and get a second-hand fridge that's only a year or two old - it's essentially free.

Great info, Kev. I especially like that if we all go out and get a second-hand fridge that's only a year or two old - it's essentially free.

That's what I'm finding. A free fridge works out expensive, and a newer fridge may cost up front but it saves longer term. Also if you don't need freezer space a straight fridge or chest freezer conversion is a lot cheaper to run. My 2 year payback for the purchased fridge works out good, it is replacing the kitchen ones (although we are going from a 800L pair down to a 618L), but included in that pay back period is the benefit of having the ex-kitchen fridges to upgrade my brewery ones hence saving there too.

QldKev

QldKev

oops, that should read $250 a year. Still an awesome saving though.

QldKev

Hey Kev

are any of the fridges you tested running a STC etc? i was wondering if the STC would cause more power to be consumed or less or same?

eg would using a 2deg "spread" on the desired temp cost you more than that of a normal fridge thermostat etc

Back