East Kent Goldings-help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
Want to make a nice ale with EKG, have 90g pellets in fridge and want some recipe idea's. Want to use at least some of what I have in my kit at the moment, so what I have becides the EKG is 3kg llme, 750g ldme,750g dex,750g crystal, 500g pale malt(grain),500g carapils.500g chock malt(grain), 10g wiilemette hop pellets, 400g Bsaaz(flower).-heaps of US-05 and 2 batches of re-cultured CPA yeast ready to go. What do you think? Just want to try something different(25l batch)-Love Boags Wizard Smith Ale, But am not after miricles-happy to get more ingrediants, but wanted this brew to revolve around the EGK for flavour and aroma. Happy to bitter with something else. Any idea's?

Just throwing something out there, but how about an amber colored ale/dark mild kind of thing?

Use 5-10% crystal and a touch of chocolate grains for colour.
Then Willametta at 60 for bittering and as much of the EKG as you have to before getting up to 20 IBUs.
Then a good whack of EKG at 5 min for some flavour and aroma and you have a nice amber/dark mild.
Low bitterness will let the malty tones through and the EKG will still give you a bit of hoppy aroma and flavour.

OG 1.035-40
IBU 20
EBC 30-40

I like Bjorn's idea. I suggest that you might want to also add a small dry hop addition and use the Cooper's yeast if it is good for it, the fruitiness should go well, and better than the US05.

It should sit somewhere between a ordinary bitter and a dark mild.

Just knocked this up from your list of ingreadience:

MJP - ESB

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

04-C Bitter & English Pale Ale, Strong Bitter/English Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.046 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 65
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.60
Anticipated OG: 1.062 Plato: 15.21
Anticipated SRM: 13.6
Anticipated IBU: 45.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
67.0 3.75 kg. LME - Pale 1.037 2
8.9 0.50 kg. Cara-Pils 1.033 2
8.9 0.50 kg. Pale Malt 1.036 2
13.4 0.75 kg. Crystal 1.034 40
1.8 0.10 kg. Chocolate Malt 1.029 350

Hops

Amount Name Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.00 g. Willamette 5.00 5.6 60 min.
40.00 g. Goldings - E.K. 4.75 21.4 60 min.
20.00 g. Goldings - E.K. 4.75 2.1 10 min.
30.00 g. Goldings - E.K. 4.75 16.1 60 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05 / CPA yeast combo

Mash at 63C for 60min

Much the same as Bjorn, it'd be a Dark Mild, though I would be chucking in the LLME, the Carapils, 200g of the choc and the crystal. If you wish to spring extra, I'd splash out on some CaraAroma as well (200g or so should do the trick).

Willamette and BSaaz at flameout, 10g EKG at 60m, 10g at 30g, 50 at 10 minutes and the balance at flameout. Get a good flavoursome aromatic ale.

Use the Coopers, if you want fruity ale, otherwise, I'd be leaning toward the US05 to let the hops balancing malt really do the talking.

Goomba

Thanks 4 the replies, will play with some of these suggestions and see what I come up with-was actually looking to make an amber/semi dark any way

Was having lunch today and just remembered this thread as I was enjoying a Little Creatures Single Batch East Kent Goldings Ale which I got from my local Vintage Cellars. Part of the description on the bottle is:

'... we thought it'd be great to showecase a classic for this Single Batch release, East Kent Goldings... this single hop brew delivers classic, earthy EKG characters from a liberal dry hopping regime all tied together with a good mix of Pale, Munich and Crystal malts. 30 IBU's 22EBC'

Was expecting a bit of an english bitter but had more of an APA character. Nice drop though.

Am tempted to do a single hop - always used combos before but might give it a go. still sorting the recipe ideas in my head though!

Could try Aaron's Best Bitter but substitute the base malt for your DME

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=312

I have 90g of EKG in the fridge too and looking forward to trying something similar when I get a chance.

I think this will be the one. Will up things to 25l and use my crystal(not dark) along with choc malt and use the recultured CPA yeast. Will prob throw a little carapils for head but otherwise convert to extract. Thanks for this-always look at the extract db without thinking about converting some of the AG ones.-Just opened a whole new world! have asked the oldies for an urn for bday-just gotta convince the wife that a boil "Really does smell nice"

I think this will be the one. Will up things to 25l and use my crystal(not dark) along with choc malt and use the recultured CPA yeast. Will prob throw a little carapils for head but otherwise convert to extract. Thanks for this-always look at the extract db without thinking about converting some of the AG ones.-Just opened a whole new world! have asked the oldies for an urn for bday-just gotta convince the wife that a boil "Really does smell nice"

sounds good. My fiancee had to agree that the boil smelt nice, expecially with the chocolate, play up the chocolate a lot!

Back