Early kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question.
Is there any reason I can’t transfer from my fermentasaurus to keg in a week even if fermentation hasn’t completed?
Would it just keep fermenting anyway, freeing up fermentasaurus for the next brew?

You could do that, only problem is if you have a dip tube all the way down to the bottom of the keg you will be drawing yeast when it settles.

You can get over that by shortening the dip tube or using a floating dip.

Alternatively you could rack to cubes to let it finish fermenting and clear before kegging. The yeast will drop below the cube taps and stay in the cubes.

I wouldn't even call it an issue, first glass may or may not pick up a bit of sediment

Most of the yeast and sediment would have already dropped out.

Is the yeast at the bottom of the keg just an issue for the first pour?
Would depend how flocculent the yeast you used was. If as you said it’s only been in the fermenter a week and fermentation hasn’t completed its going to leave a fair yeast cake at the bottom of the keg.

Would depend how flocculent the yeast you used was. If as you said it’s only been in the fermenter a week and fermentation hasn’t completed its going to leave a fair yeast cake at the bottom of the keg.
Absolutely that would make a huge difference. I wouldn't do that to the wheat beer I have on tap but that was a style that called for a low floc yeast. But most of the usual suspects when it comes to yeast should be fine. Its not unusual to Keg a beer before fermentation is complete.

Us05 is midrange as far as flocculation goes so you should be sweet

Latest posts

Back