e-BIAB re-circ return options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sluggerdog said:
I'm in the process of copying this design, I just gave it a trial with some water. My issue is the water pumps directly out of the bottom return only, ignoring the top. Putting my hand in the pot and covering the bottom hole it will then come out the top nicely but not both at the same time.

Any ideas how I could get around this? Water to return via both returns at the same time.

Thanks
Put a ball valve before the outlet of the bottom return. Which is what I've done. Fully open I still get flow to the top return, fully closed it will hose out like a mofo through the top

TheWiggman said:
Have you tried filling it (brew volume) with water and doing the same? The water will apply pressure to the bottom outlet and should allow flow out the top.
No I haven't tried this, I only did the same with enough water to cover the outlet. Will try again, hopefully this is all it is.

breakbeer said:
Put a ball valve before the outlet of the bottom return. Which is what I've done. Fully open I still get flow to the top return, fully closed it will hose out like a mofo through the top
I already have the ball valve right before the bottom return, didn't seem to make any difference how far it was open, always out the bottom.

Thanks

I mean a ball valve that will completely stop flow to the bottom return if shut off.

If the bottom return is closed then the wort has to go somewhere, so it will go through the top. As you slowly open the valve the flow through the bottom slowly increases & the top slowly decreases

From what I can tell in your pic, your ball valve (the little black one) is after the bottom return. It needs to be between the pot & your lower T piece

I guarantee that will make a difference sluggerdog.
I don't think that's his actual unit breakbeer but if he does copy it he'll still want the valve where it is. If you're whirlpooling, shutting off that middle valve will put 100% through to bottom which is what you want. Without it, there will always be flow through the top - not ideal for whirlpool.

For the valve to control the flow to the top and bottom returns, you would need the return line going in to the top and not the bottom?

i.e. The hose goes from the kettle out and into the bottom T. Shutting the valve wont do anything.

But of the return goes from the kettle out to the top tee, it will then work....

Swap the temp probe and the line in

Soz disregard, the above two answers would work better.

TheWiggman said:
Have you tried filling it (brew volume) with water and doing the same? The water will apply pressure to the bottom outlet and should allow flow out the top.
Finally got around to testing this, the higher volume was all that was needed, no additional ball valve required. Once I got around 20 litres into the urn both returns started to spill.

Cheers! :beerdrink:

Back