Dunkelweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc.camel

Reaction score
Thought i might put on a dunkelweizen this weekend. Thoughts on the following?

3kg Liquid Wheat Malt extract
200g Dried What malt extract
200g chocolate malt
200g crystal wheat malt
150g of dextrose
35 Hallertauer Mittelfruh @ 60mins
WB06
23L of water

IanH's extract spread sheets predicts

OG 1.050
FG 1.014
IBU 13.6
EBC 30.4
Alc 5.0% (Bottled)

I'm not 100% sure about the chocolate malt, it was just left overs from a previous brew. I tried a few LHBS for chocolate wheat malt and they all said they don't stock it. One even claimed i was the first person to ever ask for it!

Thanks guys

That's quite a lot of chocolate malt, and will give a somewhat edgy coffee/roast taste to the brew. That's not what you really want in a Dunkelweizen.

I brew AG, and get my colour from using Dark Wheat malt, which you just will not find in extract form. As well as that, I use about 80 to 100 gr of Chocolate Wheat, and 50 to 60 gr of Carafe Special II.
Dark Wheat malt needs mashing, so as an extract brewer you will have some difficulty replicating that. I'd lose the Dextrose, you want some body and mouthfeel in a Dunkel, I don't think you need it.

I'd look to using 50/50 ratio of Wheat and Munich for your extract.
Then look to using up to about 100 to 120 Chocolate Wheat malt, or just Chocolate malt.
About 50 to 60 gr of Carafe Special II to build up the colour.
Rather than just Crystal Wheat, try using some darker Crystal, such as Special B or CaraAroma.

I think all of that will get you close. Unfortunately, to really try to nail this style, you need to brew an AG version and use Dark Wheat malt. Anyway, good luck, and just enjoy the hobby.

wow, thanks warra48! I was concerned about the coffee flavours in the choc malt

Guess i won't be putting this one on this weekend! I might have to order some of the speciality grains on CraftBrewer. None of my LHBS seem to have the grains you mentioned :(

How does this look?

-3kg Liquid Wheat Malt extract - i can't seem to find any munich liquid malt in stock. how would 100% wheat extract differ? Could i use liquid pale malt instead?
-400g Dried Wheat malt extract
-100g choc wheat malt
-100g Special B
-50g Carafa Special 2
-35 Hallertauer Mittelfruh @ 60mins
-WB06
-Top to 23L

Thanks!

What is the Alpha Acid Percentage for those hops?

IMHO being a German style, a Dunkelweizen should be a bit lower on the bitterness scale compared to most Australian beers.

Mr Wibble said:
What is the Alpha Acid Percentage for those hops?

IMHO being a German style, a Dunkelweizen should be a bit lower on the bitterness scale compared to most Australian beers.
Fresh Hallertauer Mittelfrüh is about 4.3%. According to the extract spreadsheet 35g @ 60mins should run in the order of 16 IBU's. BJCP guidelines say 10-18. So i'm guessing it's alright.

i can't seem to find any munich liquid malt in stock. how would 100% wheat extract differ? Could i use liquid pale malt instead?

If you can't get Munich liquid malt, try using Amber liquid malt instead.

I'd go 2kg Wheat and 1 kg Amber.

If you can sub the wb06 for a wyeast 3068, I think you will find a better dunkel from 3068.

gc.camel said:
-3kg Liquid Wheat Malt extract - i can't seem to find any munich liquid malt in stock. how would 100% wheat extract differ? Could i use liquid pale malt instead?
Don't forget that Wheat extract, either Wheat LME or Wheat DME, is actually a mix of wheat and barley malt. Briess' CBW wheat extract for example is 65% wheat, 35% barley. So you can use only wheat LME/DME in a weizen recipe, no need to add any non wheat extract.

I use 100gm (in 20l) of Carafa Special 1 to give me the right colour in my dunkelweizen. And I haven't had any luck getting an authentic weizen with wb-06...the closest I've gotten is with WY-3068 fermented at 17C....but it's still bottle conditioning so I'm not even sure on that one yet.

Back