Thoughts on an APA extract brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
I'm going to try this extract as soon as my Red Ale is done and wanted to get some thoughts on this recipe (it's my first crack at putting a recipe together).

22L total.

Extract:
2kg Light Malt Extract
1Kg Light Dry Malt

Grains:
400g Light Crystal (steeped for 20 mins).

Adjunct:
200g Dextrose

Hops:
20g Cascade @ 60 mins
20g Simcoe @ 15 mins
20g Amarillo @ 5 mins
20g Citra @ 0 mins
Dry hop with 36g of Amarillo on day 5-7.

Yeast:
US05

According to IanH's epic spread sheet, I should end up with the following:

OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.4%
IBU: 36.6
EBC: 11.7

Few questions:

1) I didn't really know how to order the hop schedule and I just based it on hops that I really like. I was after an APA with a solid hop flavour.
2) the 200g of dex was only really to move the ABV from 4.9% to 5.4%. Not sure it really adds much other than ABV. should I remove?

Cheers!!

I would certainly leave the dextrose in.

Even sub out maybe 300g dry malt and up the dex to 500g so it finished at a bit lower gravity.
And drop the crystal to 200g.
Personal taste thing though. You may prefer your beers a bit sweeter.

Depending on what sort of dry/liquid malt you use, in the real world I think you will struggle to get down to 1.013 with your recipe.

A lot of pale ales have a bit of wheat malt in them. I'd be tempted to change the 1kg Light DME to wheat DME.
I like your hop choice. I think the 4 pines pale ale uses the same hops, not sure of their schedule though.

I agree with the wheat for sure. All my extract Brews had a kilo of wheat. Not sure why you'd use 2kg of liquid and 1kg of dry, it's essentially the same thing isn't it?

Latest posts

Back