help with Extra Dark Amber Ale recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompnground

Reaction score
sorry I am not sure where to post this but I am putting together a recipe in Beersmith and would like to know peoples thoughts...i am aiming for a rich but smooth chugger :chug: any ideas on yeast??
I am shooting for a low ABV Extra Dark Amber Ale... I am trying the no chill method with this so i am aiming for low IBU's of around 20 in case i get extra bitterness.

~Black Betty~
1.5l Dark Liquid Extract- Briess
1kg DME Bavarian Wheat- Briess
150g Dingemans Special Biscuit Malt
200g Midnight Wheat Malt-Briess
50g Dark Crystal Malt
30g Dark Brown Sugar
1tsp Irish Moss

20g Pacific Gem @20mins
20g Pacific Gem @ 5 mins
15g Pacific Gem @ 0 mins

don't know what yeast to use yet

1.042 SG
20 IBU's
50 EBC
4.4% alc

I will then CC @ 2 degrees then bottle

Thanks everyone!

Well at the moment, (like i just put my glass down to write this!) I am drinking a brew that was 1.5kg morgans dark extract/1.5kg wheat extract 0.5kg wheat dme,

It tastes like half stout/half wheat beer, and im only drinking it because nowt else is ready.... i won't be doing it again. I haven't used any of those grains so cant comment on that... also it will be darker than dark amber, it will be black like stout, dark extract is pretty potent stuff...

I agree, sounds dark. Maybe try using the Sparkling Amber Briess Liquid Malt extract rather that the Dark, but if you want it extra dark, it will be dark. US05 Yeast will work well, or even S04.

Cheers Steve

Just as a point of reference, i used K-97....

thanks for all the help :) i think i will knock back the wheat DME and use Amber LME instead of the Dark LME. I am drinking a dark amber brew while i write this and it is great but just has no head. it has a nice lacing around the edges but thats it.. i used the calculator and it said to put half a teaspoon of Dex to 700ml. I actually doubled this and it is still a bit flat.. does that sound right? any suggestions?? I am thinking of doubling the Dex again but don't want to make bombs... cheers!

I do pseudo bulk priming and mix 200g white sugar in 450ml water and add 10ml to each bottle works out to 5.5g/L or 2.2 vols C02...

Back