Dunkel Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxious

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering which commercial dry yeasts would be acceptable for brewing a Dunkel (of sorts)?
S-33?
T-58?
or a wheat-style (WB-06?) even though the recipe will not be a weizen?
Or should I just stick with a US-05 or S-04 to negate any over-the-top yeasty flavours?

I can post the planned recipe if that helps you help me :)
Cheers

Either Saccharomyces cerevisiae or Saccharomyces pastorianus should do the trick I reckon.

If your feeling adventurous you could try Brettanomyces bruxellensis, Brettanomyces lambicus or Brettanomyces claussenii.

None of those should give a rat's rectum how dark the beer is.

Oops! My mistake, I need to do some more brushing up on the style basics I guess..
I assumed Dunkel related to the colour of the beer not the yeast used to ferment it. Back to the drawing board! <_<
I have had success making pseudo-lagers (w/US-05 @ low temps), would it be better to go that route than to use a lager yeast (say 34/70) at around 14-15C and risk off-flavours?
That's about the lowest I can go with my temperature control methods (open the bathroom window at night to chill :blink: )
And in that case, is a Porter/Stout just a Dunkel with an Ale yeast? :ph34r:
Thanks for setting me straight :icon_cheers:

They're just screwing with you ;) .

If you are meaning a Munich Dunkel then it is a lager and you would choose a lager yeast before a T-58 or WB-06. If you mean a Dunkelweizen then you would choose a wheat yeast.

Working on the assumption you mean Munich Dunkel then you should choose a lager yeast which works for you, if you haven't got good temp control then go the psuedo-lager route which has been working for you.

I'd use S-23 @ 10C for a mild fruitiness with the munich, but W34/70 is probably the best choice for most peoples tastes.

Back