Dunkel Weissbier Experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanos

Reaction score
Generally speaking I'm the kind of brewer that can never decide on which malts to use in a particular style of beer (they're all so good!), so end up using a large number of different malts/types, and can never really tell where certain flavours come from, so find it hard to improve recipes.

So I was thinking about how i really like australian wheat malt, and also really like german dark wheat beers (weltenburger and weihenstephaner spring to mind), so I thought I'd brew one soon for winter, and inspired by a few experiments I've read about recently, I thought I'd do my own dunkel weissbier experiment, and brew three.

I plan to brew three 5L batches, all with a base of australian wheat in combination with a single barley malt (vienna, munich and dark munich malts from germany) and fermenting with weihenstephan's wheat ale yeast. I think this would be a great way to taste for myself what flavours these malts contribute on their own.

If anyone has brewed a dunkelweizen with any of the malts mentioned, what wheat/barley ratio do you use? What temperature do you ferment at? Mash temp?

Probably hopping with a noble (Hallertau?) for bitterness to spec, actually everything will be pretty much to spec.

So roughly, the beers will look like this:

OG 1.050

18IBU (from a noble)

60% Wheat
40% Vienna/Munich/Dark Munich

Wyeast 3068 @ 18-20C

Links to similar threads would also be appreciated.

Cheers
Brendan

Not an answer to your question but ...

I'm travelling to munich with my family this year and we're
staying on the campus of the technical university which, as you
no doubt know, is the home of the state owned weihenstephaner
brewery.

:D

Just thought I'd see if I could make you jealous. ;)

Haha nice try, but I do tastings/demonstrations for Weihenstephaner, and have to drink the leftovers on a weekly basis.

Sounds like an interesting experiment, but you need more than 5L, think BIG !
I'd be happy to throw you a few $$ (to cover costs) in return for some tastings of the final result.

As for recipe, got no idea.

Haha nice try, but I do tastings/demonstrations for Weihenstephaner, and have to drink the leftovers on a weekly basis.

You *have* to drink the left overs? You poor thing. :)

ill be interested to hear how you go. i reckon the munich II will be too thick for a weizen. dunkelweizens are hard to get right - ive had a few new-world dunkelweizens that go for too much malt richness and don't have the swillability that the good german examples do.

where can i buy welten-booger dunkelweizen??? i love their pils and their dunkel.

Back