Dumb kegging questions!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazfletch3

Reaction score
Hi all

Looking to work my way into kegging finally, just starting out slowly to begin with. First question, I've managed to get my hands on what I'm reliably told by dear old mum is a "home draught beer kit" which was sold by CIG back in the early 80's. Been sitting in the old shed back at home for god knows how long, but all looks in reasonable nick as per the photos- although I'd presume that all the seals and o-rings would be screwed.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404012756.624248.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404012829.748116.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404012844.866466.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404012863.344682.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404012918.047770.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404012933.598967.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404012955.050713.jpg

Would any of what I've got be remotely standard in terms of fittings, etc, that I'd be able to source new seals and bits for. Or am I just chasing my tail and may as we'll start a fresh with "standard" gear.

Second question, what dimension are a standard corny keg? I've got a spare bar fridge that could be misappropriated into a baby kegorator, which would give me usable space of about 710 x 420 x 230. The old keg I've got is too tall, but would a 19l keg squeeze in there?

I'm sure I'll have more dumb questions as I actually begin to learn something!

Cheers

Baz

Not dumb questions at all. I'm fairly new to kegging and can't make out everything in the photo but they look like ball lock fittings on a reasonably standard (maybe 18 L instead of 19) - similar to one I have. Pluto looks fine, no idea about the reg. Google 'northern brewer keg parts'. There are different types of posts/plugs for ball lock kegs.

Forgot to mention that while I haven't checked in yet, the keg is supposedly 23l, which didn't seem to be terribly common from my initial googling.

looks to me like a full setup for one keg less the gas bottle

pluto gun
co2 reg
keg

thats a great find in mums shed :)

go look and see if there is a gas bottle !!! lol

It looks like the pressure release valve is built into the keg itself (most have them in the lid). So as suggested, definitely take the keg with you when you buy seals etc to make sure the replacement pressure release valve you get (definitely get one) fits.

Provided it all seals (I'd be checking the disconnects pretty closely to be safe) it looks like all you need is a gas bottle and some new beer and gas line - good find!

Sweet! Sounds like trip to G&G is in order.

Now for a bigger fridge.....

The keg is a myton Rodd/Rheem keg made in Australia, posts are 1/2' BSP male thread unlike corny kegs, parts available here, seal kits are available from most good HB shops, if they don't have them in stock they should be able to order them. The PRV is a replaceable item and not too exy. The posts are a bit fiddly to rekit, but bloody exy to replace.

MB

MastersBrewery said:
The keg is a myton Rodd/Rheem keg made in Australia, posts are 1/2' BSP male thread unlike corny kegs, parts available here, seal kits are available from most good HB shops, if they don't have them in stock they should be able to order them. The PRV is a replaceable item and not too exy. The posts are a bit fiddly to rekit, but bloody exy to replace.

MB
Thanks MB, I came across that link (from you I think) while searching later on- only down side is they are on the other side of Melbourne.

I went past G & G with the keg and they gave me what I think was a "standard" seal set..... Everything fits except for the "yellow washer" under the keg posts, which seems about 3mm too small so it rattles around a bit. I'm presuming that this isn't right.

I read on another post that Andale might be useful too, so I might call past there as they are just in the next suburb and I've always wanted an excuse to go in there!

Cheers

Baz

Latest posts

Back