Dry Wheat Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will look forward to the result :icon_cheers:

For what it's worth, I did a k&k hefe recently which came quite well and had loads of banana through it. I used WLP300, fermented at 22c.

I just spotted this topic again. I've brewed an 11l dunkel using 3068 at 22.5 degrees, and it tastes almost exactly like every brew I've ever done with wb-06 (which include temps of 19.5, 22 and 23C).

That was really surprising, I was expecting the liquid yeast to produce something very different. It's not a bad taste, but it's slightly tart, and nothing at all like a commercial hefe such as Paulaner or Weihenstephan.

I have another 13l of dunkel fermenting at the moment, this time at 17C, as suggested in BCS. Threw a lot of sulfur in the first couple of days, every time I opened the brew fridge I grimaced. I had a taste after about 48 hours, and could definitely taste a hint of that commercial hefe taste...described in BCS as bready/sweet malt. But now after 5 days in the fermenter the sulfur smell has disappeared, and another taste test shows it going back to the slight tart flavour of all my previous weizens.

I'll leave it alone for a while now and try to remember to report back once it's been in the bottle a couple of weeks.

Ivars do you have any more to report from your weizens?

carniebrew said:
I just spotted this topic again.

Ivars do you have any more to report from your weizens?
Carniebrew, I hadn't reported back because I was really unhappy with my second attempt at a Weizzen attributable largely I think to the excessively high fermentation temperature. At the moment I've been playing around with a Dubbel and strict temperature control - the initial results are very hopeful. It's getting a bit too cold here in Tassie to really appreciate Weissen so I'll wait till Spring to do the next lot and I'll hopefully have a bit more brewing experience under my belt by then. Will follow your results with much interest.

NAILED IT! Just cracked the first of my dunkelweizen done with 3068 fermented at 17C, and it is as near as I can tell completely spot on for both the aroma and flavour of my beloved Weihenstephan dunkel. And it's only been in the bottle for 4 days today. Ripping drop, best I've made yet. I'm bloody rapt...as you can probably tell!

Seems all this 'high ferment temp' stuff in search of banana was a waste of time....all I got was tart and strange...this is malty, with that bready flavour I expect from a weizen, with that lasting malt aftertaste I really enjoy. Will be brewing this again and again....I still have some wb-06 sachets, so in the interests of science I will try that at 17C at some stage to see if it comes out similar...the lowest I've done a wb-06 ferment so far is 19.5C.

I'm thinking of a Dubbel next, so let me know how yours turned out Ivars?

Latest posts

Back